Can Ionized Air Filters Double as Air Dryers for Compressors?

• Thread starter Madpoet626
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Filter
In summary: Despite being described as 'water ionizors' the machines are designed to work as water electrolysers. This is anelectrochemicalprocess in which water is split to form hydrogen and oxygen by an electric current. The overall chemical reaction is shown below:2 H2O(l) → 2 H2(g) + O2(g)During this process the water near the anode is acidic while the water near the cathode is alkaline. Water ionisers work by simply syphoning off the water near the cathode. This contains increased levels ofhydroxide(OH−) and would be expected to have a higherpH(i.e. be more alkaline). The effectiveness of the process
Madpoet626
I've seen ionized air room air filters and was trying to figure out if they could be scaled up to work as an air dryer/filter for an air compressor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How were you planning to make such a device work as a dryer?

Despite being described as 'water ionizors' the machines are designed to work as water electrolysers. This is anelectrochemicalprocess in which water is split to form hydrogen and oxygen by an electric current. The overall chemical reaction is shown below:

2 H2O(l) → 2 H2(g) + O2(g)
During this process the water near the anode is acidic while the water near the cathode is alkaline. Water ionisers work by simply syphoning off the water near the cathode. This contains increased levels ofhydroxide(OH−) and would be expected to have a higherpH(i.e. be more alkaline). The effectiveness of the process is debatable, as electrolysis requires significant amounts of time and power; hence the amount of hydroxide that could be generated in a fast moving stream of water (i.e. a running tap) would be minimal at best.
When researching if I wanted one of these units for home use, The syphoning off the water part caught my eye and since we are only dealing with vapor not liquid water the time and power needed would be much smaller. The picture that came to mind is a chamber filled with cathodes with ribs in them, the water would gather in valley of the ribs and flow downward to the bottom where it can be removed. I am not a mathematician so I don't know if the numbers will work, that's what I want to know.
Desiccant Tower dryers scavenge a lot for air to work and refrigerant dryers are expensive and use hazardous gas, I've been trying to come up with something different.

Madpoet626 said:
Despite being described as 'water ionizors' the machines are designed to work as water electrolysers. This is anelectrochemicalprocess in which water is split to form hydrogen and oxygen by an electric current. The overall chemical reaction is shown below:

2 H2O(l) → 2 H2(g) + O2(g)
During this process the water near the anode is acidic while the water near the cathode is alkaline. Water ionisers work by simply syphoning off the water near the cathode. This contains increased levels ofhydroxide(OH−) and would be expected to have a higherpH(i.e. be more alkaline). The effectiveness of the process is debatable, as electrolysis requires significant amounts of time and power; hence the amount of hydroxide that could be generated in a fast moving stream of water (i.e. a running tap) would be minimal at best.
When researching if I wanted one of these units for home use, The syphoning off the water part caught my eye and since we are only dealing with vapor not liquid water the time and power needed would be much smaller. The picture that came to mind is a chamber filled with cathodes with ribs in them, the water would gather in valley of the ribs and flow downward to the bottom where it can be removed. I am not a mathematician so I don't know if the numbers will work, that's what I want to know.
Desiccant Tower dryers scavenge a lot for air to work and refrigerant dryers are expensive and use hazardous gas, I've been trying to come up with something different.

When you quote something like that, you need to provide a link to the original source. Otherwise it can be a copyright violation, which we do not allow here at the PF. Can you please give us a link where you copied that text from? Thanks.

So you want to use high voltage to perform electrolysis on the water vapor in air to remove the water from the air inlet flow into the compressor -- is that right? Has that technique been used for this purpose before?

berkeman said:
When you quote something like that, you need to provide a link to the original source. Otherwise it can be a copyright violation, which we do not allow here at the PF. Can you please give us a link where you copied that text from? Thanks.

So you want to use high voltage to perform electrolysis on the water vapor in air to remove the water from the air inlet flow into the compressor -- is that right? Has that technique been used for this purpose before?
Will do, next time I'll try of figure out how to include the link.
I had in mind a high voltage, low amp system but not knowing how to do the math, I'm not sure if it can handle the volume of air I'm working with. I have been a service tech. in the industry for over 20yrs and haven't seen anything like this on the market. As building a proto-type will be costly, I want to make sure the numbers add up.

Madpoet626 said:
Will do, next time I'll try of figure out how to include the link.

The simplest way is to go to the web page where you found the text (I'm guessing somewhere on wikipedia), and just copy the URL from your browser's address bar, and paste it in here. :smile:

Madpoet626 said:
I had in mind a high voltage, low amp system but not knowing how to do the math, I'm not sure if it can handle the volume of air I'm working with. I have been a service tech. in the industry for over 20yrs and haven't seen anything like this on the market. As building a proto-type will be costly, I want to make sure the numbers add up.

Is there a reason that you don't want to use traditional dehumidifier technology?

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=498

berkeman said:
Is there a reason that you don't want to use traditional dehumidifier technology?

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=498

Cost mainly, refrigeration and desiccant towers are expensive and water traps are ineffective, I have a number of smaller customers who need some kind of dryer but can't spend the money. I was also intrigued by the idea that ionization could be used for both filter and dryer in one unit.

Last edited:

1. What is an ionized air filter and dryer?

An ionized air filter and dryer is a type of air purifier that uses ionization technology to remove contaminants and moisture from the air. It works by releasing negative ions into the air, which attach to particles such as dust, allergens, and bacteria, causing them to become heavy and fall out of the air. The device also has a drying function that helps to remove excess moisture from the air, making it a dual-purpose appliance.

2. How does an ionized air filter and dryer work?

The ionized air filter and dryer use a built-in ionizer to release negatively charged ions into the air. These ions attach to particles in the air, causing them to become heavier and fall out of the air. The device also has a fan that circulates the air through a filter, removing larger particles and particulate matter. The dryer function uses a heating element and fan to remove moisture from the air, creating a dry and clean environment.

3. What are the benefits of using an ionized air filter and dryer?

There are several benefits to using an ionized air filter and dryer. Firstly, it helps to purify the air by removing harmful particles and allergens, which can improve indoor air quality and reduce the risk of respiratory issues. Secondly, it helps to reduce excess moisture in the air, which can prevent mold and mildew growth and create a more comfortable living environment. Lastly, the device is energy-efficient and does not require the use of chemicals, making it a safe and eco-friendly option.

4. Can an ionized air filter and dryer remove all contaminants from the air?

An ionized air filter and dryer can effectively remove a significant amount of contaminants from the air, including dust, allergens, and bacteria. However, it may not be able to remove all types of pollutants, such as gases, chemicals, and odors. It is recommended to use the device in conjunction with other air purifying methods, such as ventilation and regular cleaning, for optimal results.

5. How do I maintain an ionized air filter and dryer?

To maintain an ionized air filter and dryer, it is essential to regularly clean and replace the filter. The frequency of filter replacement will depend on the manufacturer's instructions and the level of usage. It is also important to regularly clean the exterior of the device with a damp cloth and ensure that the device is placed in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, it is recommended to have the device serviced by a professional technician every year to ensure its proper functioning.