Ionized Air Resistance: Research & Questions

In summary, the conversation is about a person doing research on ionized air and wondering about its electrical resistance. They have searched Google but found no information, and have been directed to a website that discusses the resistivity of highly ionized gas, which can be similar to that of metal.
moh.gamal
i am doing a research about ionized air ,and i have little question
how much electrical resistance ionized air have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi moh.gamal. I see you are new here, so http://imageshack.com/a/img515/4884/welcomesign.gif

Resistance probably depends on pressure, and maybe also on the applied voltage. But I'm sure that google will be able to find you all the information you seek. See how you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really thanks for ur reply :smile:, i already searched google ,, i found nothing about that.
A tube full of air at normal pressure ionized by x rays , will the resistance be high or low , what is the approximate resistance ?

moh.gamal said:
Really thanks for ur reply :smile:, i already searched google ,, i found nothing about that.
Nothing? Maybe start here: http://www.trifield.com/content/about-air-ions/

A highly ionized gas can have a resistivity similar to metal.

okay i will take a look :)

1. What is ionized air resistance?

Ionized air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air that has been electrically charged or altered. This occurs due to an imbalance of positive and negative ions in the air, resulting in a buildup of static electricity and the creation of an electric field.

2. How does ionized air resistance affect objects?

Ionized air resistance can affect objects in various ways. It can alter their surface charge, cause them to attract or repel other charged objects, or create a force that opposes their motion through the air. This can lead to changes in the object's trajectory and overall behavior.

3. What are the applications of studying ionized air resistance?

The study of ionized air resistance has many practical applications. It is important in fields such as aerospace engineering, where it can impact the design and performance of aircraft and spacecraft. It is also relevant in industrial settings, where it can affect the efficiency and operation of electronic equipment.

4. How is ionized air resistance measured?

Ionized air resistance is typically measured using specialized equipment such as an ionization chamber or a Faraday cup. These devices can detect and measure the presence of ions and their movement, providing information about the level and behavior of ionized air resistance in a particular environment.

5. What are some current areas of research in ionized air resistance?

Some current areas of research in ionized air resistance include the development of new techniques for controlling and minimizing its effects, as well as exploring its potential uses in various industries. There is also ongoing research into the effects of ionized air resistance on human health and how it may impact certain medical conditions.