1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ionizing energy

1. Dec 3, 2005 #1
    for the following question:
    a proton capatures a negative muon (mass=207me). Find the ionization energy of the atom.

my problem:
    the answer in my textbook says to use 13.6eV for the E1 ionization energy, but why? i thougth that that value is only true for hydrogen atoms, but that question doesn't seem to have anything to do with a hydrogen atom...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2005 #2
    a hydrogen atom is is made of a proton and an electron. Your text book seems to think that a system made of a proton and a negative muon has the same ionization energy that you attribute to a system made up of a proton and an electron. Since your textbook is setting the question, I wouldn't argue with it. If you ever have to find the ionzation energy of such a system for yourself, and can't, then make a post asking where to find it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    thank you very much!!! :)

5. Dec 5, 2005 #4
    @@
    i just rethought this question, and there's something i think that's weird~
    the original ionizing energy has to do with mass, and the muon's mass is 207 times bigger, which is a lot~
    so isn't the ionizing energy affected a lot too?

6. Dec 5, 2005 #5
    perhaps you should put the question as it is worded by the textbook, and incude as worded in the textbook any information given. But I agree that the ionization energy would be different although I'm not confident.

7. Dec 5, 2005 #6
    hmm... that is the original question~

8. Dec 5, 2005 #7
    sorry, of course, I was half asleep when I wrote the last post and didn't read carefully. my fault :P. I regret I can't help any further.

9. Dec 6, 2005 #8
    that's alright~ thanks for you original suggestion! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?