Finding a Gas for Physics Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a gas that can easily be ionized for a physics experiment. Another person suggests using air, but the first person is concerned about the composition of air and wants to ensure that only one gas is present in the chamber.
Intle
Hello
I am currently performing an interesting physics experiment and am in need of a gas that is easily accessible and can easily be ionized by someone with basic equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Intle said:
Hello
I am currently performing an interesting physics experiment and am in need of a gas that is easily accessible and can easily be ionized by someone with basic equipment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I think air will serve the purpose. You need say 5kV to do it and a good vacuum pump to obtain low enough pressure.

tech99 said:
I think air will serve the purpose. You need say 5kV to do it and a good vacuum pump to obtain low enough pressure.
But isn't air composed of multiple different gases? It is important that there only is one gas in the chamber. (Ofcourse if there is 98% of one gas and 2% of another gas in this chamber that wouldn't be an issue)

1. What is the purpose of finding a gas for a physics experiment?

The purpose of finding a gas for a physics experiment is to create a controlled environment in which certain physical phenomena can be observed and studied. Different gases have different properties that can affect the outcome of an experiment, making it crucial to choose the right gas for the specific experiment.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a gas for a physics experiment?

When choosing a gas for a physics experiment, factors such as the desired pressure, temperature, and chemical properties of the gas should be considered. Other important factors include the availability and cost of the gas, as well as its potential interactions with other substances in the experiment.

3. How do I determine the appropriate pressure and temperature for the gas in my experiment?

The appropriate pressure and temperature for a gas in a physics experiment will depend on the specific goals and parameters of the experiment. It is important to consult with other scientists and research any relevant literature to determine the ideal conditions for the gas in question.

4. Can any gas be used for a physics experiment?

No, not all gases are suitable for physics experiments. Some gases may be too reactive or unstable, while others may not have the necessary properties for the experiment. It is important to carefully consider the properties and potential interactions of a gas before using it in an experiment.

5. How can I safely handle and store the gas for my physics experiment?

The safe handling and storage of gas for a physics experiment is crucial to prevent accidents and ensure the integrity of the experiment. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines, such as using appropriate equipment and storing the gas in a well-ventilated area. It may also be necessary to consult with a safety expert or obtain proper training before handling the gas.