Can a Lifter be Powered by an AC Source or Tesla Coil?

• Thread starter killroy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an AC source or a Tesla coil to power a lifter, but it is not feasible due to the high voltage required and the limitations of these power sources. Significant modifications would be needed to make this alternative work.
killroy
I've been reading about "lifters" for a while now, and I had put off building one because of the inconvenient amount of power needed for it to work. I was wondering if there were a way to power it using a simple ac source (an outlet, maybe), or perhaps something to the effect of a Tesla coil, and I was wondering what modifications in the design would have to take place for it to work properly with either. I wasn't able to find any circumstance in which either of those possibilities have been explored as an alternative to dc. I'm not sure how stupid of a question it is, but any input would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it is not feasible to power a lifter using an AC source or a Tesla coil. The lifter requires a large DC voltage (many thousands of volts) in order to generate enough lift to be useful. AC sources are not capable of providing that kind of voltage, and Tesla coils are designed to produce high voltages, but at very low currents, which is insufficient for a lifter. If you really want to go this route, it would require significant modifications to both the design of the lifter and the Tesla coil in order to make them compatible with each other.

1. What is an Ionocraft and how does it work?

An Ionocraft, also known as a lifter or a Biefeld-Brown propulsion system, is a type of electrohydrodynamic (EHD) device that uses electricity to generate thrust. It works by creating a high voltage difference between two electrodes, causing ionization of air molecules and creating an "ionic wind" that propels the craft forward.

2. Why is Ionocraft technology being explored as a power alternative?

Ionocraft technology is being explored as a power alternative because it has the potential to be more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly compared to traditional combustion engines. It does not require any fossil fuels and produces zero emissions, making it a promising option for sustainable transportation.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Ionocraft power alternatives?

The advantages of Ionocraft power alternatives include their potential for high efficiency, low operating costs, and zero emissions. They also have fewer moving parts, making them less prone to mechanical failure. However, the current limitations of Ionocraft technology include low thrust and speed capabilities, and the need for high voltage power sources.

4. How does the efficiency of Ionocraft power alternatives compare to traditional combustion engines?

The efficiency of Ionocraft power alternatives is currently lower than traditional combustion engines, but with ongoing research and development, it has the potential to surpass them. One study found that an Ionocraft prototype was 50% more efficient than a small gasoline engine, and with advancements in technology, this gap is expected to close.

5. What are the potential applications of Ionocraft power alternatives?

Ionocraft technology has a wide range of potential applications, including transportation (such as drones, air taxis, and small aircraft), space propulsion, and microelectronic cooling. It can also be used in air purification systems and in the medical field for drug delivery and wound healing. As the technology advances, more possibilities are being explored.