Exploring the Benefits of Ionocrafts and their Equilateral Triangle Shapes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Ionocrafts and their working principle, which involves shooting ions down to create thrust and lift the craft. The shape of the base is also discussed, with the conclusion that an equilateral triangle is the most efficient shape due to its high cross-sectional area to perimeter ratio. This is because it allows for a higher number of charges and lower weight, resulting in more thrust. The conversation also touches upon the structural simplicity and strength of triangles, making them a practical choice for the shape of the base.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
Hmmm maybe this goes here, maybe it doesn't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionocraft
Here is a picture that depicts basically what I'm talking about.

From what I understand, Ionocrafts work on N3L, and shoot ions down, pushing the craft up. This makes me think that the more charges you have, the more thrust you can get. This makes me think you want lots of charges and low weight. (stop me when I mess up)
This makes me think for the shape of the base, you would want a high cross-sectional area to perimeter ratio. I keep seeing things about equilateral triangles being used.
Why?
##\frac{\text{area}}{\text{perimeter}}##
Circle:
##\frac{\pi r^2}{2 \pi r} =\frac{r}{2}##
Square (half the length of a side is r):
##\frac{(2r)^2}{4(2r)} =\frac{r}{2}##
equilateral triangle (height is r, b is 1/2 side):
##\frac{2*1/2*b*r}{3*2*b} = \frac{r\frac{r}{\sqrt{3}}}{3*\frac{2r}{\sqrt{3}}} = \frac{r}{6}##

So, hold the distance from the wire on top to the plane constant, and approximate the field inside the ionocraft as constant (or at least the vertical component, the outwards components will cancel because symmetry). You have equal charges/unit mass (or per unit length) in a circle and square. However, you have 1/3 as many charges with the equilateral triangle (per unit length of material i.e. per unit mass), and thus 1/3 the force (##F_{thrust} = -\Sum q E##)
What's the draw to the equilateral triangle?
Perhaps it's just an artifact of my inconsistent definition of r? But it's ratios, and I just used r as a means to calculate and compare, hmm...

Physics news on Phys.org
Triangles are structurally simple and strong.

It seems the weight is more based on the number of corner since most of the weight seems to be concentrated on the vertical posts.

The triangle is therefore the practical shape that have the least number of corners.

1. Can you explain what an ionocraft is and how it works?

An ionocraft, also known as an electrohydrodynamic (EHD) thruster, is a type of aircraft that uses electricity to create thrust. It works by using a high voltage electrical field to ionize air molecules, creating a flow of ions. These ions then interact with a neutral air molecule, creating movement and thus generating thrust.

2. What are the advantages of using ionocrafts compared to traditional aircraft?

One of the main advantages of ionocrafts is their simplicity and lack of moving parts. This makes them low maintenance and potentially more reliable than traditional aircraft. They also have the potential to be more energy efficient and environmentally friendly, as they do not require fossil fuels to operate.

3. How do equilateral triangle shapes benefit ionocrafts?

Equilateral triangle shapes are a common design used in ionocrafts because they provide a symmetrical and stable platform for the electrical field to act on. This allows for better control and more efficient thrust generation.

4. What are the limitations of ionocrafts and their equilateral triangle shapes?

One limitation of ionocrafts is their low thrust-to-weight ratio, meaning they are not currently capable of carrying heavy loads. In addition, the efficiency of ionocrafts decreases at high speeds and altitudes, making them better suited for low altitude and short distance flights.

5. How are ionocrafts being used and what are their potential applications in the future?

Currently, ionocrafts are primarily used for small-scale experiments and demonstrations. However, they have potential applications in fields such as atmospheric research, surveillance, and transportation. In the future, they could potentially be used for short-distance transportation or even as a means of space propulsion.