1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ions flow through a tube of neon gas that has two electrodes at the ends. Find accele

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    A section of an advertising sign consists of a long tube filled with neon gas having electrodes inside at both ends. A uniform electric field of 20 kN/C is set up between the electrodes, and neon ions accelerate along the length of the tube. Given that the ions each have a mass of 3.35 X 10-26kg and are singly ionized, determine their acceleration.

E = 2000 N/C
    m = 3.35 x 10-26kg

I'd like to ask if my answer below makes sense, but I have a feeling that my acceleration is much to high! Please let me know if I am incorrect and why.

8-1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Re: Ions flow through a tube of neon gas that has two electrodes at the ends. Find ac

20 kN/C is 20 000 N/C, not 2000. Aside from that, your work is correct: ions in advertising signs really do experience huge accelerations. If you plug in a reasonable value for the length of the tube, you'll see that despite the large acceleration, the neon ions don't even reach relativistic speeds. (Electrons in cathode ray tubes, however, do; those in old TV sets reach approx. 30% the speed of light.)

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    Re: Ions flow through a tube of neon gas that has two electrodes at the ends. Find ac

Thanks! <3
    cute-little-bunny-rabbit1.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook