Calculating Charge Flows in Chemical Cells: How Much Zinc Reacts per Second?

In summary, the question is asking for the mass of zinc reacting per second to produce a current of 0.2A in a chemical cell. The formula for current is given as current = charge/time. The attempt at a solution involves converting the current to the number of electrons being discharged per second and then solving for the mass of zinc using the knowledge that each zinc atom loses 1 electron to become a Zn^2+ ion.
pizza1512
Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this question? Which steps should I take in solving this question?

Chemical cells can produce quite large charge flows for substantial times before their chemicals have all reacted. If zinc is the metal losing electrons under chemical attack, what mass of zinc is reacting per second to produce this current of 0.2A? (remember that each zinc atom loses 1 electrons to become a [tex]Zn^2+[/tex] ion.

Homework Equations

1. [tex]Current = \frac{Charge}{time}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far this is what I have done:

I know that 0.2A = 0.2C/sec. If we divide this by 1.6[tex]\times 10^{-19}[/tex], we obtain the number of electrons being discharged.

What else should I do next?
:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
pizza1512 said:
Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this question? Which steps should I take in solving this question?

Chemical cells can produce quite large charge flows for substantial times before their chemicals have all reacted. If zinc is the metal losing electrons under chemical attack, what mass of zinc is reacting per second to produce this current of 0.2A? (remember that each zinc atom loses 1 electrons to become a [tex]Zn^2+[/tex] ion.

Homework Equations

1. [tex]Current = \frac{Charge}{time}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far this is what I have done:

I know that 0.2A = 0.2C/sec. If we divide this by 1.6[tex]\times 10^{-19}[/tex], we obtain the number of electrons being discharged.

What else should I do next?
:shy:

That would be electrons per second. What would half of that be?

your first step in solving this question would be to gather all the necessary information and understand the problem. In this case, you are given the current (0.2A) and the fact that zinc is losing electrons. From this, you can infer that the current is being produced by the flow of electrons from the zinc atoms.

Next, you can use the equation for current (I = Q/t) to calculate the charge flow per second. In this case, the charge flow is 0.2C per second.

Then, you can use the fact that each zinc atom loses 1 electron to become a Zn^2+ ion to determine the number of electrons being discharged per second. This can be done by dividing the charge flow (0.2C) by the charge of one electron (1.6 x 10^-19 C). This will give you the number of electrons being discharged per second.

Finally, to calculate the mass of zinc reacting per second, you can use the molar mass of zinc (65.38 g/mol) and the Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23 mol^-1) to convert the number of electrons into moles of zinc per second. Then, you can use the molar mass to convert the moles of zinc into grams of zinc.

In summary, the steps to solve this question would be:
1. Understand the problem and gather all the necessary information
2. Use the equation for current (I = Q/t) to calculate the charge flow per second
3. Determine the number of electrons being discharged per second
4. Use the molar mass of zinc and Avogadro's number to convert the number of electrons into grams of zinc per second.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the role of ions in chemical cells?

Ions play a crucial role in chemical cells by providing the necessary charge for the flow of electrons. They are responsible for maintaining the balance of positive and negative charges within the cell, which is essential for the cell's proper functioning.

2. How do ions move within a chemical cell?

Ions move within a chemical cell through a process called diffusion. This involves the movement of ions from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, driven by electrochemical forces.

3. What types of ions are found in chemical cells?

The types of ions found in chemical cells vary depending on the type of cell. However, some common ions found in chemical cells include sodium, potassium, chloride, and hydrogen ions.

4. How do ions affect the voltage of a chemical cell?

The movement of ions within a chemical cell creates a difference in charge, which results in a voltage or electrical potential. The larger the concentration gradient of ions, the higher the voltage of the cell.

5. What is the significance of ions in battery technology?

Ions are crucial in battery technology as they are responsible for the flow of electrons, which generates the electrical energy needed to power various devices. The type and concentration of ions present in a battery determine its voltage and capacity.