Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ions in water

1. Jun 20, 2015 #1
    Kitchen salt is soluble in water. Whenever this happens, molecules of NaCl dissociate into the two chemical entities that form such molecule, the cation Na+ and the anion Cl-. Suppose I dissolve some amount of NaCl in water. Then I pour part of this solution into another glass. Is it possible that such operation might cause some ion unbalance, I mean, in the end one of the glasses might contain more Na+ cations than Cl- anions, or vice versa? Because cations and anions are chaotically/randomly dispersed in water, right? Therefore, more Na+ than Cl- ions may pass from the first to the second glass.

Not sure if I made myself clear, but that's my question. Thanks for any light shed on this matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it is possible. However, these differences are so small we can safely assume both parts are electrically neutral. Charges accumulated due to friction are much larger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook