Iowa's Roswell: The Wreck of 1277

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the fringe of the fringe. I had never heard of this story.

http://www.yawp.com/3rd-i/vol4/vol4No7/1277.html

2. jcsd
  3. What are the chances of a ufo hitting a train? Why would the aliens not try to miss the train (assuming they could steer, and were therefore crashing because of a power or propulsion problem)?

4. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This reminds me of a report that I saw on television. It was claimed that the first collision in the US between two automobiles involved the only two cars in the state [Oklahoma I think].

5. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Could this be a meteorite? The size of the crater suggests it.

6. This is a true story. The zinger, also true, is that the drivers of both vehicles were drunk.

7. This is what it probably was. The only trouble is the old man's recollection of it's attempt to pull up to abort the initial dive, which seems to be what set it on a new course into the train.

Possible "realistic" explanation for why a meteor might do this is the sudden release of gas trapped in a pocket exposed by atmospheric burning. I really do hope they dig down to the source of the reverberation and see what's there.

8. Well of course it envolved those two cars, could it have happened if it only envolved one? LOL, I'm so funny! Secondly, on a more serious note, what are the chances of a ufo coming a bazillion light years and hitting such a moving target as a train?

9. If it actually ended up happening then the chances had to be 100%. There wouldn't be any way of knowing this ahead of time, though.

10. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Back in the 1970s a very small meteorite struck a parked car somewhere in upstate New York and drilled a hole right through it.

11. Hm. Now I wonder if my car insurance covers meteorite damage.

12. Of course! They cover everything except what will most likely happen!

13. If there was a sudden outgassing of the meteor to slow its desent and change its trajectory, it may have then been highly magnetic and attracted to the locomotive.

14. You are saying it might have been made of ferromagnetic metals?

15. Aren't magnets degaussed at a relatively low temperature, far below that which a meteorite would reach entering the earth's atmosphere?

16. yes, it is common electromagnetic physics that a magnet loses its strength as it is heated and a meteor entering the earths atmosphere is blazing with fire.

17. Woop, 1 point for me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?