Iowa's Roswell: The Wreck of 1277

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: This reminds me of a report that I saw on television. It was claimed that the first collision in the US between two automobiles involved the only two cars in the state [Oklahoma I think].Could this be a meteorite? The size of the crater suggests it.Originally posted by Ivan Seeking This is a true story. The zinger, also true, is that the drivers of both vehicles were drunk.Originally posted by selfAdjoint This is what it probably was. The only trouble is the old man's recollection of it's attempt to pull up to abort the initial dive, which seems to be what set it on a new course into the train. In summary, a meteorite crashed into a
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From the fringe of the fringe. I had never heard of this story.

Marion: With all the national hoopla over events that occurred in Roswell, New Mexico half a century ago, people have quite forgotten a similar event over 115 years ago just twelve miles outside of Ely in Marion County. Here, a beautiful meadow beckons amidst a stretch of old abandoned railroad line.

http://www.yawp.com/3rd-i/vol4/vol4No7/1277.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the chances of a ufo hitting a train? Why would the aliens not try to miss the train (assuming they could steer, and were therefore crashing because of a power or propulsion problem)?

This reminds me of a report that I saw on television. It was claimed that the first collision in the US between two automobiles involved the only two cars in the state [Oklahoma I think].

Could this be a meteorite? The size of the crater suggests it.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
This reminds me of a report that I saw on television. It was claimed that the first collision in the US between two automobiles involved the only two cars in the state [Oklahoma I think].
This is a true story. The zinger, also true, is that the drivers of both vehicles were drunk.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Could this be a meteorite? The size of the crater suggests it.
This is what it probably was. The only trouble is the old man's recollection of it's attempt to pull up to abort the initial dive, which seems to be what set it on a new course into the train.

Possible "realistic" explanation for why a meteor might do this is the sudden release of gas trapped in a pocket exposed by atmospheric burning. I really do hope they dig down to the source of the reverberation and see what's there.

Well of course it envolved those two cars, could it have happened if it only envolved one? LOL, I'm so funny! Secondly, on a more serious note, what are the chances of a ufo coming a bazillion light years and hitting such a moving target as a train?

If it actually ended up happening then the chances had to be 100%. There wouldn't be any way of knowing this ahead of time, though.

Back in the 1970s a very small meteorite struck a parked car somewhere in upstate New York and drilled a hole right through it.

Hm. Now I wonder if my car insurance covers meteorite damage.

Of course! They cover everything except what will most likely happen!

If there was a sudden outgassing of the meteor to slow its desent and change its trajectory, it may have then been highly magnetic and attracted to the locomotive.

You are saying it might have been made of ferromagnetic metals?

Originally posted by Artman
If there was a sudden outgassing of the meteor to slow its desent and change its trajectory, it may have then been highly magnetic and attracted to the locomotive.

Aren't magnets degaussed at a relatively low temperature, far below that which a meteorite would reach entering the Earth's atmosphere?

yes, it is common electromagnetic physics that a magnet loses its strength as it is heated and a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere is blazing with fire.

Originally posted by einsteinian77
yes, it is common electromagnetic physics that a magnet loses its strength as it is heated and a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere is blazing with fire.

Woop, 1 point for me!

1. What happened during the "Iowa's Roswell: The Wreck of 1277" incident?

The incident, which occurred on December 28th, 1277, involved a large, bright object crashing into a field near the town of Vinton, Iowa. Witnesses reported a loud explosion and a large fireball in the sky before the object crashed. The wreckage was found to be made of a strange metal material and was quickly covered up and removed by military personnel.

2. Was the object that crashed in Iowa's Roswell a UFO?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Some eyewitnesses reported seeing a large, disc-shaped object while others described it as a meteor or comet. The military claimed it was a weather balloon, but many people believe it was a UFO due to the strange material and the secrecy surrounding the incident.

3. Was there any evidence of extraterrestrial life found at the crash site?

No, there was no evidence of extraterrestrial life found at the crash site. However, some witnesses reported seeing strange, humanoid figures in the area before the military arrived and covered up the wreckage. This has led to speculation that the military may have found something but kept it hidden from the public.

4. What is the current scientific explanation for the Iowa's Roswell incident?

The current scientific explanation is that the object that crashed was most likely a meteor or comet. The strange material found at the crash site may have been debris from a nearby satellite or space debris. The military's involvement and cover-up can be attributed to the Cold War and the fear of Soviet espionage.

5. Has any further investigation been done on the Iowa's Roswell incident?

There has been some further investigation and research done on the incident, but no conclusive evidence has been found to support any theories about the object being a UFO or extraterrestrial in nature. The case remains a mystery and continues to be a topic of interest among UFO enthusiasts and conspiracy theorists.

Back