Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ip address tracing

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    how do you trace an ip address? I'm not looking for anyone's exact location.. just mainly city/state/country and how accurate can it be
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2004 #2
    Ok, if u have the ip address, then u have to cionvert it to the ip number and then on referring to some datasheet u can match this ip numer to its location
  4. Oct 26, 2004 #3
    Try using a reverse lookup tool. This will give you information (if the user sumbitted to interNIC allowing info to be published) on the 'owner' of the IP address.... Endusers typically do NOT own IP addresses, but ISP's do... So you could probably find the ISP who owns the IP address then you could find which country the ISP is located in...

hmmmm what you talking about? :eek:
  5. Oct 26, 2004 #4
    reverse look up tool?

ok... where do I find one of these reverse look up tools? is there a free download?
  6. Oct 26, 2004 #5

Science Advisor

Try this program.
  7. Oct 27, 2004 #6
  8. Oct 28, 2004 #7
    I had a site that gives you the exact location, but i lost it :(
    no need to download any program...
  9. Oct 28, 2004 #8
  10. Oct 28, 2004 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Nov 1, 2004 #10
    Thanks, anti crank, anttech and robphy... your input has proved most helpful!
  12. Nov 6, 2004 #11
  13. Nov 6, 2004 #12
    hey you can try superscan its a good program with some additional features.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?