Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IP phones

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1
    I would like to use IPvoice service to call my parents...
    Anyone here know how this works out exactly ?
    Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2
    A friend using satellite technology for Internet service recently (early in 2004) purchased a special phone to use with his system for making international calls. It’s actually a service more than a product because it involves a fee per/min of use (he uses a credit card to purchase additional time). It has proven itself beneficial as visitors/tourists can place calls less expensively through his system than the local service even while my friend turns a small profit. I do not recall the name of the service, unfortunately.

I did google to find this page claiming a free PC-to-telephone service was being offered by a certain company (for US to US calls);

http://www.infinisource.com/features/free-phonecalls.html

But in checking the source indicated there seems to be a charge;

http://dcs.net2phone.com/consumer/commcenter/rates.asp#

4. Jun 24, 2004 #3
    www.skype.net

Featured in Fortune Magazine, the creators of KaZaA have landline phone companies scared they may take over telecom with "computer to computer" VOIP whose quality is as good as a landline and as easy to use as an IM client.

Is it so bad to talk from the computer? Sound cards, microphones and speakers/headphones would run you $30 if you got the cheapies ... and sound quality would certainly meet or exceed that of your landline phone.

Just a thought.

I used to use DialPad.com back in 99 when I first met my wife. It was free, buggy, and didn't sound real great all the time, but you could call landlines. Now I have Vonage VOIP service. $30/mo flat rate, no extra charge for any domestic call as well as canada. Cheap international rates too. Excellent service - www.vonage.com

Oh, and, nice forum you guys have here. :approve:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  5. Jun 25, 2004 #4

megashawn

Science Advisor

I use vonage also, it rocks. Unlimited long distance, flat rate, pretty good service.

The only problem I have with it is every now and again it goes offline, requires me to unplug the phone to modem thingy and then it works again.

6. Jun 25, 2004 #5

Moe

Is there a free service, or do you have to pay for all of them now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?