IPA and EtOH Spearation via Distilation Column

• Thread starter ChEtobe14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Column
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to maximize their data collection efforts for characterizing a distillation column in a senior design course. They are using the HTU-NTU method and need to find mass transfer coefficients, but are unsure of how to proceed and have limited access to the trays in the column. Suggestions include researching the method, gathering data from the product stream, and simulating the column using software.
ChEtobe14
Hi,

So I am wondering if anyone would have any ideas on to how to maximize the most of my data collection efforts into characterizing a distillation column that we are using in my senior design course to separate a mixture of IPA and EtOH. The column contains sieve trays, with 5 of them residing in the enriching section and 10 of them in stripping section. I will be operating this column at total reflux. We are asked to find a design based on the experimental data obtained to design a system that will recover 90% of the EtOH with a purity level no less than 85%.

I spoke to my professor regarding what data I need to collect, however I am not sure as to how to go about doing this. He said I need to use the HTU-NTU method and find the mass transfer coefficients. Problem is, I never learned this in my separations course. Another problem is, I cannot access the trays to attempt to analyze the compositions at each stage. I only have access to the product exiting from the top of the column.

I have only two manipulated variables the condenser water flow rate and the power input into the reboiler. Here is what I am planning on doing:

1. Start analyzing, by gas chromatography, different mixtures of IPA and EtOH. Generate a calibration curve base don that. Calibrate the water flow meter since it is unit-less and relate it to the amount of water exiting the condenser over an interval of 2 minutes. 5 different trials will be performed.

2. I am stuck :/ . I am not sure how to proceed from here to gather the required data needed for full characterization.

If anyone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would really really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have a challenging project ahead of you! In order to maximize your data collection efforts, here are a few suggestions:

1. Begin by thoroughly researching the HTU-NTU method and mass transfer coefficients. There are many resources available online, such as textbooks, articles, and videos, that can provide you with a basic understanding of these concepts. It is important to have a solid understanding of the theory behind these methods before attempting to use them in your project.

2. Since you do not have access to the trays in the column, you will need to gather data from the product stream exiting the top of the column. This will require you to measure the composition of the product stream at various points in time. One way to do this is to use a gas chromatograph, as you mentioned in your post. However, you may also need to consider other methods, such as using a refractometer or a density meter, to gather additional data on the composition of the product stream.

3. In addition to composition data, you will also need to gather data on the manipulated variables (condenser water flow rate and reboiler power input) and the product flow rate. This will allow you to calculate the mass transfer coefficients and other important parameters needed for your design.

4. It may also be helpful to simulate the distillation column using software such as Aspen Plus or HYSYS. This will allow you to input your experimental data and simulate different operating conditions to determine the optimal design for recovering 90% of EtOH with a purity level of at least 85%.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of separating IPA and EtOH through distillation column?

The purpose of separating IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and EtOH (ethanol) through distillation column is to obtain pure forms of each compound, as they have different boiling points. This technique is commonly used in industrial processes, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals and fuels.

2. How does distillation column work to separate IPA and EtOH?

Distillation column works by utilizing the differences in boiling points of the two compounds. The mixture of IPA and EtOH is heated in the column, causing the compounds to vaporize. The vapors then rise up the column and are condensed back into liquid form. Since IPA has a lower boiling point than EtOH, it will vaporize first and can be collected separately.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of distillation column in separating IPA and EtOH?

The efficiency of distillation column in separating IPA and EtOH can be affected by several factors, such as the temperature and pressure inside the column, the composition of the mixture, and the design of the column. Other external factors, such as impurities in the mixture, can also impact the separation process.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing IPA and EtOH separation through distillation column?

Yes, there are safety precautions that should be followed when performing IPA and EtOH separation through distillation column. These include wearing proper protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal procedures for the chemicals. It is also important to monitor the temperature and pressure inside the column to prevent any accidents.

5. Is distillation column the only method for separating IPA and EtOH?

No, distillation column is not the only method for separating IPA and EtOH. Other techniques, such as fractional distillation, can also be used. However, distillation column is the most commonly used method in industrial settings due to its efficiency and cost-effectiveness.