Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ipod Formatting

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    Hi guys,

I have this question on my ipod that i have been wanting to ask for a while....Anyway here it is....I have a 20 Gig Ipod, i think its the 1st generation one since it is not a colour ipod. I have been using it for the past 2years and no prob wotsoever....Anyway i just decided to delete all the songs in my ipod and start all over again. Right now my ipod is formatted FAT32..Is it advisable/possible to change it to NTFS??? If yes do i just right click on the ipod drive>properties> and format it to NTFS....Will i get better space results if i use this File System???

Formatting will erase everything including those important files in the ipod...Is this alright???

Thanks for any help..

Cheers
    Jake

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2007 #2
    Hey guys,

Come on!! Does anyone know what im talking about???

Thanks

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The firmware does not understand NTFS, so it cannot be used. (It's an Apple product, after all, while NTFS is a Microsoft filesystem!)

Also, the iPod is intended to store relatively large files which don't need to be moved around and written to very much. This means there would be little improvement in moving from FAT to any other modern filesystem.

- Warren

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  5. Apr 20, 2007 #4
    Hey Warren,

Thanks for that great answer.....I have another question regarding ipods...Is it alright to degragment the ipod and scan for errors just by going to the drive, right clicking on it going to properties and and scanning and defgramenting etc....????

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5
    Or is there another better way of doing this???

Thanks
    Jake

7. Apr 21, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you can defragment the iPod's hard drive just like any other. You may or may not notice any difference at all, though.

- Warren

8. Apr 22, 2007 #7
    Ok thanks a lot for your help....Appreciate it...

Jake

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?