Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ipod Question

1. Aug 20, 2006 #1
    Hey people,

I have a 20 Gig apple ipod and i have used 12 gigs of mp3's on it already..I have a lot of old videos that are stored on my computer that take up a lot of space...I thought of backing up these files on my ipod so that i could delete them from my computer and get more storage space...I know how to use my ipod as a hard drive as well (basically just got to copy and paste files as usual....So my question is...If i want to backup these files on to my ipod will this cause any damage to my ipod at all??? Because i am going to use my ipod as an mp3 player as well as for storage...So would there be any damage or errors on my ipod???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2006 #2
    Nah. I do the same thing. That's why I like it so much. Go on ahead.
  4. Aug 21, 2006 #3
    Cool...thanks for the reply..

5. Aug 21, 2006 #4
    make sure you dont save or change anything inside the iPod_Control folder, then it's all good as far as saving data to the ipod is concerned.
  6. Aug 22, 2006 #5
    Ok thanks for that warning.....will be careful...:tongue2:

7. Aug 24, 2006 #6
    wish I had an I-pod...
  8. Sep 2, 2006 #7

Staff: Mentor

iPod Repair

Just in case one needs to have an iPod repaired.

Repair shops sync up with broken iPods

Some entrepreneurs have come up with New York's latest cottage industry — iPod repair shops.
    Something to keep in mind if your iPod quits.
  9. Oct 9, 2006 #8
    Just don't put the files in the system folders of the iPod, put them in the main drive or in a seperate folder that you create.
  10. Oct 21, 2006 #9
    When you sync from IPOD to computer, the IPOD's battery gets used even it is on USB I think.

That may reduce the life expectancy of your battery and it may die sooner.
  11. Oct 21, 2006 #10
    So then the more you update your ipod the shorter the battery, i think not...

Also read this http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Its a pinout of the serial connector, theres usb 5v power in...
  12. Oct 21, 2006 #11
    A battery has a set number of recharges before it dies. That's why it's best to charge the IPOD when it's completely or near drained out.

When you connect through USB...it charges. Also it isn't viable to use as a HD...more like a USB stick perhaps.
  13. Oct 21, 2006 #12
    You can use an Ipod as an hdd though.
  14. Oct 21, 2006 #13
    When you connect an Ipod to a computer it opens iTunes up and then connects to it. A computer wont recognize an ipod that it isnt registerd to becasue of the auto update feature.
  15. Oct 21, 2006 #14

Gold Member

But you want a backup somewhere, right? I mean, they're not indestructible.
  16. Oct 21, 2006 #15
    Obviously with all the viruses now, it was in response to an above post.
  17. Oct 21, 2006 #16

Gold Member

Virii, EMPs, breakage, loss, theft, going through the laundry, whatever.

You don't want to be using an iPod as a primary storage device do you? That would be like to using a jump drive as a primary drive with your only copies of data on it...
  18. Oct 22, 2006 #17

Well you could use it, just if you never brought it anywhere, but that would be pretty stupid. I always keep mine in my pocket so i know its there, never in a backpack, thats just asking for theft...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?