What is the correlation between IQ and success?

In summary, the conversation discusses a thread on the correlation between IQ and success, sparked by a book by Malcolm Gladwell. It is argued that above a certain threshold, IQ does not necessarily guarantee success. The idea of IQ as a reliable measure of intelligence is also questioned. The conversation concludes by mentioning that closed threads on this topic can be found through a simple Google search.
Feldoh
So there was a thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2847138#post2847138 about IQ and being successful that I think is an interesting topic and is worthy of discussion so I thought I'd start a new thread here.

The reason for doing so is that I was recently reading Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers wherein one of the chapters he uses some recent and previous studies and discusses that idea that after a certain point the correlation between IQ and being successful in terms of a subject diverges. That is to say that there is some threshold. Gladwell quotes "Knowledge of a boy's IQ is of little help if you are faced with a formful of clever boys". This is of course analyzing the situation for the view-point that an IQ is a reliable measure of intelligence.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reopening closed threads is not allowed. We've had so many of these threads that I do not see how another is needed.

You can google threads on IQ that have been posted here if you are curious about the consensus of people on this forum.

What is IQ and how is it measured?

IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient and it is a measure of an individual's cognitive abilities. It is typically measured through standardized tests that include a variety of tasks designed to assess different types of intelligence.

How is IQ correlated to success?

The correlation between IQ and success has been a topic of debate among researchers. While some studies have shown a positive correlation between IQ and various measures of success, such as job performance and income, others have found a weaker or even no correlation.

Is IQ the only factor that determines success?

No, IQ is not the only factor that determines success. Other factors such as motivation, perseverance, emotional intelligence, and opportunities can also play a significant role in an individual's success.

Can IQ be improved?

IQ is considered to be relatively stable throughout an individual's life. However, some studies have shown that certain interventions, such as educational programs and cognitive training, can lead to improvements in IQ scores.

Are there any limitations to using IQ as a measure of intelligence?

While IQ tests are widely used and have been shown to be a reliable measure of intelligence, they do have some limitations. These tests may not accurately measure certain types of intelligence, such as creative or emotional intelligence, and may also be influenced by cultural and socioeconomic factors.