Average IQ of Physicists: Is it Higher?

In summary: Unless the academic people realize this, and try to account for it, which they do in most of these test.Sometimes I get a feeling that anyone who wants to participate in a discussion that mentions "IQ" should be required to read at least one good non-PC study of the subject. Such as "The G factor" by Jensen, a work of the same name by Brand, or "The Bell Curve" by Herrnstein/Murray.
neyzenilhan
what is the average IQ of physicists?
is it much higher than the average IQ of general population?

Physics news on Phys.org
What'd you call a 'physicist', is the issue that comes to mind I guess.

But yeah, obviously. Not in the least because of how IQ tests work.

is this related to your 'I want to love' thread in any way?

did you find a physicist?

neyzenilhan said:

It's infinity+3.

Likes stehfahknee
Stratosphere said:
What does IQ have to do with intelligence?

What does the HP rating of an engine have to do with its power?

Well I've read that the average IQ of a college graduate is 120, so it only follows that the AVG IQ of physicists is much higher than 100.

hamster143 said:
What does the HP rating of an engine have to do with its power?

It's not the same thing with an IQ. IQ measures mental deficiency not the other way around.

I personally like to draw a firm line between 'IQ' as the theoretical normal distribution of intelligence and 'the result of an IQ test', as in, the assessment of such a test what one's IQ is. The former has very little theoretical basis, the latter is simply absurd to assume a test can measure a thing with such little basis to begin with.

Likes stehfahknee
My IQ was an A+

neyzenilhan said:
Since IQ tests are made by academics it is only natural that academics will do better on it, so yes.

Klockan3 said:
Since IQ tests are made by academics it is only natural that academics will do better on it, so yes.

Unless the academic people realize this, and try to account for it, which they do in most of these test.

Sometimes I get a feeling that anyone who wants to participate in a discussion that mentions "IQ" should be required to read at least one good non-PC study of the subject. Such as "The G factor" by Jensen, a work of the same name by Brand, or "The Bell Curve" by Herrnstein/Murray.

1. What is the average IQ of physicists?

The average IQ of physicists is estimated to be around 130, which is considered to be in the high range of intelligence.

2. Is the average IQ of physicists higher than other professions?

Studies have shown that the average IQ of physicists is higher than the average IQ of the general population and other professions. However, it is important to note that intelligence is not solely determined by IQ and there are many factors that contribute to success in any given field.

3. What factors contribute to the high average IQ of physicists?

There are a few factors that may contribute to the high average IQ of physicists. These include a strong aptitude for problem-solving, high levels of curiosity and creativity, and a strong foundation in mathematics and science.

4. Are there any studies that support the claim of a higher average IQ among physicists?

Yes, there have been several studies that have found a higher average IQ among physicists compared to the general population and other professions. However, it is important to note that these studies may not be representative of all physicists and their findings should be interpreted with caution.

5. Does having a higher IQ make someone a better physicist?

Having a high IQ may help someone excel in certain aspects of physics, such as problem-solving and critical thinking. However, there are many other qualities and skills that contribute to being a successful physicist, such as hard work, perseverance, and strong communication skills. Therefore, while a high IQ may be beneficial, it is not the sole determinant of success in the field of physics.