What is the Controversy Surrounding IQ Tests in the PF Community?

In summary: Personally I think that the IQ can measure some of the person's intelligence if taken under the right conditions (but it will still not be very accurate, and most people do not take it under the right conditions).IQ tests are a double-edged sword.
STAii
The subject of IQ tests have been discussed over and over in PF 2.0 (but in different topics, and in the middle of topics).
It seems that the PF members don't all agree on wether the IQ test is really a good pointer to the person's intelligence.
-Some of the users on PF said that IQ tests are only how good you are at taken IQ tests.
-Other said that IQ tests actually give a little pointer to the person's intelligence, but it is not really a good pointer (Since it is not always right).
-Others said that IQ tests are a very conventinal way to calculate intelligence.

So what do you think ?

Personally i think that the IQ can measure some of the person's intelligence if taken under the right conditions (but it will still not be very accurate, and most people do not take it under the right conditions).

Physics news on Phys.org
IQ tests are a double-edged sword.

If you find out from the test that you've got a crappy IQ, then you would find yourself in a morale chute.

But if you find out that you've got an IQ that would make Einstein go green in the gills, then you would have your morale boosted tremendously.

So, my take is, forget about IQ tests and do what are you got to do.

Anyone doing well on IQ tests has a good level of reasoning ability. This says nothing about memory or anything else, although there is positive correlation between high IQ and other 'brain things' such as memory.

Right Plus.
But you can't also say that a person with low IQ means he is bad at reasoning skills, it is very likely that this person only freaks out of IQ tests !

IQ tests only measure the amount of intelligence that the author of the test considers worthy of intelligence...which automatically discounts the credibility of the test...

talents such as a musical gift or artistic/creative streak are not traditionally considered as an indicator of intelligence, yet i think these (and others) should be ranked as a measure of smarts...

Well, I love I.Q. tests. I don't really know how accurate they are at rating my reasoning ability, but I just enjoy taking the tests.

I enjoy the way they stretch my brain, but I don't put faith in the results.

what IQ test measure is a very limited idea of intelligence. i wouldn't say they have 0 merit. but i view them as glorified SAT tests.

considering cognitive scientist have yet to even completely agree on what intelligence is, if find it hard to believe that this test that is flawed in many ways could be an accurate measure. sure it's the best thing we have, but it still isn't that great.

IQ tests don't measure much. I mean, it for people who have a hard time taking tests(the pressure! ). For people who are more intellectual, it can't quite be measured with an IQ test. I think its unfair. Maybe an IQ test should be more customized?

I wonder if the opinion of IQ tests is correlated with the results of the poster's tests? Or negatively correlated, I should have said.

Also IQ tests can be very culturally restrictive.

For example I know someone who moved from the US and took an IQ test here in Aus, and one question used hectares as a unit of area, without stating what a hectare was how the hell was she to work out the answer?

I'm sure there are many more examples.

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
IQ tests are a double-edged sword.

If you find out from the test that you've got a crappy IQ, then you would find yourself in a morale chute.

But if you find out that you've got an IQ that would make Einstein go green in the gills, then you would have your morale boosted tremendously.

This is interesting to me because as a child I took an IQ test given by a child psychologist - they thought I had a learning disability and just wanted to see what was going on. Apparently it was not a bad score and I got transferred to gifted classes. I was never told as a child what the score was and for that reason it had very little impact on my confidence. In this case it was beneficial because of the accelerated classes I was placed in. IQ tests are about the only way to place people in classes that go at the right tempo and with their peers.This is probably the ideal situation for most people if they are going to be administered an IQ test (although I did eventually find out what the score was when I was about 21.)

I tend to think that IQ tests given to adults are less valid. By then you've learned how to manipulate the answers, or at least what the answers should be. As a child, though, I only remember puzzles. I had no idea what the test was about and don't think I suffered any ill effects because of it (i.e. stress, feeling nervous.)

I also think comparing them to the SAT's is kind of silly - they're not standardized tests. Although Kerrie is right about them not measuring 'creativity' so to speak, as with music and art, I would venture to say that from what I know, even the greatest artists, musicians and poets are talented in other areas, specifically in patterns, memory, and visualization.

I wonder if everyone would be interested in doing one common online IQ test?

I have done different online IQ tests over the years, and some are really dodgy, some seem OK, and some are slightly better than OK, but none have really inspired me with confidence that they are actually measuring anything real.

The best IQ test I have probably done was one which was on TV Australia wide last year. It was a quality one, but still, I don't think any IQ test which is done outside the confines of an actual IQ testing facility can be trusted too much.

But, if we all agree to use the one IQ test, then maybe it would at least give us some basis for comparison?

I did one at emode.com recently. It seemed reasonable. Anyone else interested? Anyone else know any good online IQ tests?

This is interesting to me because as a child I took an IQ test given by a child psychologist - they thought I had a learning disability and just wanted to see what was going on. Apparently it was not a bad score and I got transferred to gifted classes. I was never told as a child what the score was and for that reason it had very little impact on my confidence. In this case it was beneficial because of the accelerated classes I was placed in. IQ tests are about the only way to place people in classes that go at the right tempo and with their peers.This is probably the ideal situation for most people if they are going to be administered an IQ test (although I did eventually find out what the score was when I was about 21.)

Congrats then. I've seen on the newspapers about some dude and his brother going for IQ tests. His bro got a much higher IQ score then he did. So his confidence was shot to shreds and his parents also mildly discriminated against him if i remember correctly.

Fer me, i wouldn't. After all I'm a male, and i hit puberty, so I'm saturated with testerones.

Originally posted by Pauly Man
Also IQ tests can be very culturally restrictive.

For example I know someone who moved from the US and took an IQ test here in Aus, and one question used hectares as a unit of area, without stating what a hectare was how the hell was she to work out the answer?

I'm sure there are many more examples.
I agree.
The language can also be a reason for the person to get an IQ that is not really his IQ.
For example, a person can have learned a language only newly and taking an IQ test in it, he may not understand the questions, therefore get a low result.
Or the person may be very intellectual, but bad at language (it happens that you find people that are extremely gifted in mathematics (for example) but very bad at languages), this person will not understand the questions too.

I have done different online IQ tests over the years, and some are really dodgy, some seem OK, and some are slightly better than OK, but none have really inspired me with confidence that they are actually measuring anything real.
I have taken many tests from this site, and it seems that lot of IQ tests writers tend to steal the questions from other IQ tests.
It also seems that some IQ tests writer are unable to actually make a good measuring of the score according to the questions being asked.
So i guess the online versions of IQ tests are not really good, not promising at all.

I wonder if the opinion of IQ tests is correlated with the results of the poster's tests? Or negatively correlated, I should have said.

i scored pretty well on it and i still don't have a very high opinion of the test. well not the test so much as the intepretations of the results of the test.

there are plenty of factors that could influence your score other than intelligence, such as culture. and there are plenty of things that could be thought of intelligence that are not tested, such as creativity.

If you have a high IQ, then you are smart. If you don't have a high IQ, and don't have a really low IQ, then an IQ test is useless in determining if you are smart or not - you very well maybe. Ex: Richard Feynman had an IQ of 125.

I once had a friend in grad school, who was going for a Ph.D. in math - and got it. He has since had a successful career as a mathematics professor. But before that, he already had a masters degree and had been working as a mathematician in something super secret in Washington D.C. As part of the job he had to take an IQ test, so he went around to the place they gave them and took it. And he scored 87. The person in charged was very embarrassed - seeing what my friend was actually employed as - and offered to let him take it again. So he did, and scored an 83! He used to tell this story on himself as a joke.

So it's clear to me that individual tests and individual people can be outliers in the distribution. But in spite of that, IQ itself, or rather g, which lies behind it, is simply a fact of life. And it is correlated with success in business or just about anything else.

Originally posted by Galatea
IQ tests are about the only way to place people in classes that go at the right tempo and with their peers.
[/B]

This isn't true. There are other ways to identify gifted children, and they are much less restrictive than an IQ test. However an IQ test can be useful if used correctly.

I am currently doing a Diploma of Education course on Gifted and Talented Students, (although I am not doing a dipEd). It is only week three of the course, by the end of the university session I will be able to talk about this with more knowledge than at present.

Originally posted by Pauly Man
This isn't true. There are other ways to identify gifted children, and they are much less restrictive than an IQ test. However an IQ test can be useful if used correctly.
\

Can you give an example? I said it was "about the only way" which means, more or less, it's the only way I know of - I've never seen any other tests to determine what children belong in gifted programs.

If someone is bad at math, but can grasp advanced concepts with ease. They would prob do bad on a I.Q. test since they are mostly math based. I never put much stock in them anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I took an IQ test. It came back negative."

I am sceptical as to the veracity of these tests. Aren't they pretty much designed to measure the subject's acpacity to think along the same lines as those who wrote the test? And doesn't true brilliance, true genius lie in one's ability to think in ways that are unlike the standard?

I wonder how Einstein or Socrates would have done on one of these standardised tests.

\

Can you give an example? I said it was "about the only way" which means, more or less, it's the only way I know of - I've never seen any other tests to determine what children belong in gifted programs.

Yeah sorry about.

Um, to be honest I have no idea at present what kind of tests are available, however over the next few weeks we will be looking into exactly that problem. So I'll keep you up to date.

Originally posted by LURCH
"I am sceptical as to the veracity of these tests. Aren't they pretty much designed to measure the subject's acpacity to think along the same lines as those who wrote the test?

Yea, or maybe they just measure the subject's "acpacity" to put letters in the correct order ! "Dislexics of the world, UNTIE!"

How about a Physical Fitness test?

Originally posted by plus
Anyone doing well on IQ tests has a good level of reasoning ability. This says nothing about memory or anything else, although there is positive correlation between high IQ and other 'brain things' such as memory.

There's a correlation between high IQ and memory? I never knew that.

Originally posted by Zefram
There's a correlation between high IQ and memory? I never knew that.

You might have at one point in your life and just forgot.

Originally posted by Sensei
There are too many kinds of intelligence for I.Q. tests to be valid as a general indicator.

mathematical intelligence
reading comprehension intelligence
visual - spatial intelligence
musical intelligence
athletic intelligence

so on and so forth.

the real I.Q. test? LIFE

i think common sense is a great indicator of intelligence...

You might have at one point in your life and just forgot.

Ouch. :wink:

This type of thinking is the real problem... Why should there be a test for gifted programs? I agree with Sensei - LIFE is the indicator of intelligence. Richard Feynman would have been denied access to todays gifted programs (at least the largest, G.A.T.E. which requires an IQ of 130).

Here in Australia IQ tests are not that common. An IQ test is a useful indicator of potential academic ability, however I stress potential. "Gifted" children may not put that potential to use, they may be lazy, or bored, or not interested in academic school life.

Originally Posted by RageSk8-
This type of thinking is the real problem... Why should there be a test for gifted programs? I agree with Sensei - LIFE is the indicator of intelligence. Richard Feynman would have been denied access to todays gifted programs (at least the largest, G.A.T.E. which requires an IQ of 130).

It is very important to identify gifted children. These are children who are above the average, in the case of academically gifted children above the average academically. These children must be given a suitable education to cater for their slightly different needs, just as a disadvantaged child should be given a suitable education to cater for their particular needs.

You mention Richard Feynman, which is a good case in point. It shows the difference between giftedness and talent. He would be considered mildly gifted, and here in Australia perhaps skipped a grade, or at the least taught a little more unconventionally. Whether he would have been picked up or not, the fact is he worked on his gift for physics and made a contribution to science, he became a prominent scientist, ie. he turned his gift into a talent. Today he would be considered a genius am I right? That is because he transformed his gift into a talent through hard work, and through his life experiences.

So in a way you are right, life is in a way a measure of intelligence, in that whether a gifted child transforms that gift into a talent depends immensely on their life experiences.

Originally posted by RageSk8

Well, ideally gifted children (whichever gift that may be) would be born with a secret watermark so we wouldn't have to test them. However, as Pauly Man states, it is important for them to have education that caters to their needs. And for the record, aren't you in a gifted program (or at least some kind of accelerated learning program?)

It's really easy to see things and say "this should not be done this way" but I don't see anyone offering any alternatives, which I would probably accept if they were a better choice.

I think that close friends/teachers etc would be a better indicator of Intelligence than a test would be.

The only problem there, is getting an objective sort of standard.

(To stupid people, average intelligence seems brilliant etc...)

IQ tests are about 1 thing.. brain power.. that is pretty much it.. another pointless number to make people feel better then others.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of IQ tests in the PF community?</h2><p>The purpose of IQ tests in the PF community is to measure an individual's cognitive ability and potential for success in various aspects of life, such as education and employment. These tests are often used as a tool for identifying gifted individuals and providing them with appropriate resources and support.</p><h2>2. Why is there controversy surrounding IQ tests in the PF community?</h2><p>There is controversy surrounding IQ tests in the PF community because some argue that these tests are biased and do not accurately measure intelligence. There are also concerns that these tests may perpetuate societal inequalities and stigmatize individuals with lower scores.</p><h2>3. How do IQ tests measure intelligence?</h2><p>IQ tests typically measure intelligence through a series of standardized questions and tasks that assess an individual's cognitive abilities, such as problem-solving, memory, and verbal and spatial reasoning. The results are then compared to a normative sample to determine the individual's IQ score.</p><h2>4. Are there alternative methods for measuring intelligence in the PF community?</h2><p>Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring intelligence in the PF community, such as performance-based assessments and multiple intelligences theory. These methods aim to capture a broader range of cognitive abilities and may be more inclusive and culturally sensitive.</p><h2>5. How can the controversy surrounding IQ tests be addressed in the PF community?</h2><p>The controversy surrounding IQ tests can be addressed in the PF community by acknowledging and addressing potential biases in the tests, promoting diversity and inclusivity in testing methods, and using IQ scores as only one aspect of a comprehensive evaluation of an individual's abilities and potential.</p>

1. What is the purpose of IQ tests in the PF community?

The purpose of IQ tests in the PF community is to measure an individual's cognitive ability and potential for success in various aspects of life, such as education and employment. These tests are often used as a tool for identifying gifted individuals and providing them with appropriate resources and support.

2. Why is there controversy surrounding IQ tests in the PF community?

There is controversy surrounding IQ tests in the PF community because some argue that these tests are biased and do not accurately measure intelligence. There are also concerns that these tests may perpetuate societal inequalities and stigmatize individuals with lower scores.

3. How do IQ tests measure intelligence?

IQ tests typically measure intelligence through a series of standardized questions and tasks that assess an individual's cognitive abilities, such as problem-solving, memory, and verbal and spatial reasoning. The results are then compared to a normative sample to determine the individual's IQ score.

4. Are there alternative methods for measuring intelligence in the PF community?

Yes, there are alternative methods for measuring intelligence in the PF community, such as performance-based assessments and multiple intelligences theory. These methods aim to capture a broader range of cognitive abilities and may be more inclusive and culturally sensitive.

5. How can the controversy surrounding IQ tests be addressed in the PF community?

The controversy surrounding IQ tests can be addressed in the PF community by acknowledging and addressing potential biases in the tests, promoting diversity and inclusivity in testing methods, and using IQ scores as only one aspect of a comprehensive evaluation of an individual's abilities and potential.