1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I IR in a nanotube

1. Aug 9, 2018 #1
    Can a medium range infrared photon enter a nonotube

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2018 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A typical nanotube has a diameter much smaller than the wavelength of visible or infrared light, so I don't think that there can be a situation that can be described as such a photon being confined inside the tube. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Aug 9, 2018 #3
    What about a gutar the sound wave is much larger than the diameter of the hole in the sound box yet the air particles are smaller. Is it not the same for a photon

5. Aug 9, 2018 #4
    I found this on the internet "In this work, we further develop this idea by shaping the wavefront of the infrared light (at a wavelength of 1064 nm) passing through a 180-nm-radius hole that is surrounded by well-designed groove patterns into predesignated complex patterns such as Latin letters"

6. Aug 9, 2018 #5

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/nphoton.2015.123
    In the near field, plasmons in CNTs can be excited by infrared light (excitation wavelength 6-10μm). I don't know if this counts. Photonics isn't really my area.
    Where on the internet did you find this?

7. Aug 9, 2018 #6

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does a photon even have a position observable in the way how an electron has one? It's possible to create an electron wavepacket that is localized inside some boundaries, but that kind of a wavepacket can't have a single de Broglie wavelength. With the quanta of the electromagnetic field, the situation is even more difficult.

8. Aug 9, 2018 #7

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, but I think the quote in post 4 is treating light (semi-)classically. Without a reference, I can't say for sure, but I do know that light does funky things in the near field limit.

9. Aug 9, 2018 #8
  10. Aug 9, 2018 #9
    I was thinking as the sound wave gets destorted as it moves thru the hole in the gutar, mabe the electromagintic field of the photon gets simalarly destorted

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted