IR led Doesnt work Please help

In summary, the conversation discusses troubleshooting an IR LED with a wavelength of 1450nm and a maximum forward current of 100mA. The user has tested various resistances, but the LED does not work. They switch to a 940nm LED with similar specs and it works. The conversation then delves into calculating the correct current limiting resistance and using a digital camera and photodiode to test the IR output. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to not go below 40Ω for the current limiting resistance.
ebunnyboy
hi , every body here , I really seek a help , I have an Ir led from thorlaps it's wave length 1450 nm , I followed the specs
Forward voltage at 20mA is = 1.2 v typical , 1.5 v Max
Max DC forward current = 100mA
Power dissipation is 120 mW

I tried the following resistance 200 ,220 ,190,180 ,100 ,63 ohms the led doesn't work , i thought it was damaged i replaced it with another one same happens but when replaced it
with 940 nm (have almost same specs ) it works

so what's the problem
here is the data sheet
http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct.cfm?partNumber=LED1450E

I noticed strange things when tring connecting 180 , 190 , 200 , 220 ohms the led have same voltage drop = 0.85 i keep lowering the resistance values until reached to 63 ohms then it gives 0.95 v and the led doesn't work under camera focus so what i shall do thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your LED has a maximum forward current rating of 100 mA. Larger forward currents will cause the junction to fail; hence no IR light (how are you checking if there's an IR output?).

Anyway, to calculate the correct current limiting resistance, you will need to pick the forward current you will be operating it at; say 20mA for example. Then you need to know your power supply voltage; say it's 5V for example. Note that @ 20mA=0.02A the LEDs forward voltage will be 1.2V. Now use this equation to determine resistance to use:

d18b97cec426965d6e8708489095775b.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_circuit#Series_resistor"

For our above example, R = (5V-1.2V)/0.020A = 190Ω

Not knowing what the power supply voltage you were using, I can't say for sure. But you may have over rated the forward current and blew the junction. Your LED can only dissipate 120mW before becoming damaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam using 5 v power supply , I have three of them when testing using 190 ohms or 200 or 220
ohms the voltage drop across led is about 0.8 V , I tried to replace the led with anthor new one same happens that's led me to test it using low resistance

ebunnyboy said:
Iam using 5 v power supply , I have three of them when testing using 190 ohms or 200 or 220
ohms the voltage drop across led is about 0.8 V , I tried to replace the led with anthor new one same happens that's led me to test it using low resistance
Okay, I download the only datasheet I could find (http://www.datasheetdir.com/LED1450-03+LEDs" [Broken]) and for a forward current of 50mA, the forward voltage has a Maximum value of 1.5V but Typically for anyone part it's 1.0V. So if you apply the formula with the LED current=0.050A, the LED forward voltage drop=1.0V, and a supply voltage=5V,

R = (5V-1V)/0.05A = 80Ω

So my question to you is, how do you know it's NOT emitting IR. Your eye can't see this wavelength. What method are you using to see the IR?

thnx to your reply
by using digital camera and also
introducing it to a photodiode has cover the spectral range

also datasheet from here
http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct...umber=LED1450E [Broken]

its from throlaps

when i tried 63 the voltage drop increases to 0.9 v so I will go to buy 50 ohms and test it

I wouldn't go much lower. At the maximum forward current rating of 100mA and with a typical forward voltage drop of 1V, the current limiting resistance of 40Ω would be the minimum value you should use.

1. Why isn't my IR LED working?

There could be several reasons why your IR LED is not working. One common reason is that the LED is not receiving enough power. Make sure to check the power supply and ensure that it is supplying the correct voltage. Another reason could be that the LED is damaged or burnt out, in which case it will need to be replaced.

2. How can I test if my IR LED is working?

To test if your IR LED is working, you can use a digital camera or smartphone camera. Point the LED towards the camera and press a button on the remote control. If the LED is emitting infrared light, it should appear as a bright purple or white light on the camera's screen.

3. Can a damaged IR LED be fixed?

In most cases, a damaged IR LED cannot be fixed and will need to be replaced. However, if the damage is minor, such as a loose connection or a small crack, it may be possible to repair it. It is recommended to consult a professional if you are unsure how to fix a damaged IR LED.

4. How far can an IR LED transmit signals?

The range of an IR LED depends on several factors, such as the power of the LED, the sensitivity of the receiver, and any obstacles in the line of sight. Generally, an IR LED can transmit signals up to a few meters, but it may vary depending on the specific circumstances.

5. What can I do if my IR LED is working but the device is not responding?

If your IR LED is working correctly but the device is not responding, there could be an issue with the remote control or the device itself. Make sure the remote control is pointed directly at the device and that there are no obstructions. You can also try replacing the batteries in the remote control or resetting the device to see if that resolves the issue.