IR Modulator

1. Hey all. I am building an IR modulator but seem to have a small kink in the design. Here is my schematic:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the oscilloscope, connected between ground and the output of the TL555 timer and the output of the second transistor (the output pulse going into the LED's).

[​IMG]

The problem is that the transistor looks like it IS switching at 38kHz, but the off voltage is only in the low mV range. How could I make it so that this is actually modulating on/off?

Thanks for any help,

John

2. jcsd
  3. The transistor is hooked in a common collector configuration which doesn't have any voltage gain.

You could replace the second transistor with a PNP, or move the LEDs up across Vcc and collector while grounding the emitter.

4. So instead of putting the LED's between the second transistors emitter and ground, I would connect it from +5V to the collector, and connect the emitter to ground?

Thanks, I just want to be sure. Also, do you think this would increase the maximum current (Should I be careful to not burn out my LED's when switching)?

John

5. yes

Yeah it would. One may place a current limiting resistor between 5V and the LEDs.

6. vk6kro

vk6kro 4,059
    Science Advisor

You probably need a circuit like the one in this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2612341&postcount=35

As a general rule, never put semiconductors directly across a source of power either on their own or in series. They are quite capable of destroying themselves if you do that.
    You always need a resistor in series with them to limit the possible current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?