1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IR range

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    i want to know about wave length of infarade wave and working range

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    Re: wavelength of light

What do you want to know about it (them)?

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

Infrared(I think that's what you mean by infarade) waves encompass the region of the electromagnetic spectrum right before light, commonly considered as heat radiation. As it is present right before light, it has a frequency that is a bit lower, and a wavelength that is higher as a result of the equation given in a post above. Due to the lower frequency, it also has less energy, also given in an equation in a post above.

Or, in less nerdy terms, infrared is the segment before light, with lower energy/frequency.

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

Low-Q

Gold Member

What do you mean by "working range"?

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5

I want to know about the working range of Infrared receiver and transmitter and also if there is any type of IR transmitter just like as RFID Passive tag

7. Oct 27, 2011 #6

what??? makes no sense.

8. Oct 28, 2011 #7

Infrared is the part of the EM spectrum between the upper end of visible and microwaves.
    Roughly 750 nm to about 1 mm. I am sure there is some disagreement on the upper boundary, but long wavelength IR and microwaves have a lot in common.

9. Oct 28, 2011 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Typically, short-wave infrared (SWIR) is from 0.7 um to 1.1 um, the part of the spectrum we can't see but that Si detectors can still respond to. Mid-wave (MWIR) is about 3-5 um and long-wave (LWIR) is 8-12 um: both bands are set by absorbance bands of water, and the MWIR and LWIR bands are within 'transmission windows'. Going out further, for example in FTIR measurements, the far infrared can go out to about 20um or more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook