Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IR Spectrum Query

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    i'm having fierce trouble trying to obtain information as to the peaks/bonds in the IR spectra of the following; benzaldehyde, cinnamaldehyde, benzophenone, cyclohexanone and acetophenone.

i keep typing in plenty of the keywords in the various search engines but to no avail.

all i need is a rough guide as to which peaks belong to which bonds!!!

can anyone provide a decent link to help me out????
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try the sadtler database or the NIST, I think Merck and Aldrich has some good databases for these types of spectra. The thing is, they may have obtained the spectra in a different context, such as different solvents, for which there may be shifts in the wavelength peaks.

If this was for an experiment, you should have obtained each respective compound spectra independently.

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

movies

Science Advisor

IR spectra are usually observed with neat material if they are liquids or oils, which all of those are. You should certainly check to see that the specta are neat, however.

You should check out the SDBS, they have tons of IR and NMR spectra for common compounds.

http://www.aist.go.jp/RIODB/SDBS/cgi-bin/cre_index.cgi

5. Mar 14, 2006 #4
    thanks alot, will check em out.
    :smile:

6. Mar 14, 2006 #5
    Book

The Aldrich library of FT-IR spectra

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?