Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iran and capital punishment

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    Iran has executed 29 convicts

I find it interesting that in some countries, death penalty is consistently broadcasted in a large media coverage, and not done in secret without anybody hearing about it. Please understand that I am against capital punishment, but understand a democracy which uses it as an example, however can not understand an alleged democracy which does not use it as an example. Indeed, logically death penalty can not just be a protection for society, by removal of a dangerous individual. Life imprisonment does that just as well (it's more expansive, but supposedly more human).

Just a personal opinion on an evil country...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last I checked, in the US, it is more expensive to give someone a death penalty than to give them life in prison. I doubt, however, that the same is true of Iran (since, in the US, most of the extra cost comes from the various stages of appeals).

4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    I've seen the same claim on wikipedia, but I don't understand it is possible.

5. Jul 27, 2008 #4
    Wikipedia refers to this article on FSU

6. Jul 27, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Sentences for criminals serve two primary purposes: One is the removal of the threat to society, but the other is simply punishment.

7. Jul 27, 2008 #6
    Oh, my point was that I don't relate to those purposes. Being imprisoned for life is much worse in my understanding. I can only relate to the fact that death punishment is used as a mean to scare the population by taking an example. That's how it was done in France until the 1980's : on sunday morning with a crowd of people. It's a different culture I guess.

8. Jul 27, 2008 #7
    Deterrence?

9. Jul 27, 2008 #8
    Yes, that's the word I needed ! Thanks :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?