Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iran: Evil, or just like us?

1. It's evil.

0 vote(s)
  2. It's just a bunch of people, like us, and all the ridiculous doublespeak propaganda won't change tha

6 vote(s)
  1. Dec 28, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Iran was evil?
  4. Dec 28, 2003 #3
    The Iranian governement is/was evil, but the Iranian people are just like the rest of us.
  5. Dec 28, 2003 #4
    Remember Bush referred to it as evil in his big Axis Of Evil (tm) thing?
  6. Dec 28, 2003 #5

Staff: Mentor

Sounds pretty simple to me.
  7. Dec 28, 2003 #6
    Yeah, it would be simple, except you're not seeing the way it really is. It's simple, but you're looking at it backwards. Look at Iraq: 8000+ innocent civilians dead, one dictator captured. Making war against an "evil" government affects mostly the people, not the targeted government.
  8. Dec 29, 2003 #7
  9. Dec 30, 2003 #8
    Well considering the Sadam and his regime are responsible for over 1,000,000 Kurdish deaths(all citizens of Iraq) killed by chemical weapons. Not to mention the more than 400,000 corpses found in mass graves(more Iraqi citizens). 8,000 more lives, is well worth the cost of freedom.
  10. Dec 30, 2003 #9
    Where the fudge are you getting these figures from? George Bush?

The USA killed something like half a million Iraqis in Desert Storm. Where do you think the bodies went? Well, duh, they buried them.

Secondly, by what possible rationale do you say that 8,000 innocent civilian lives are a fair price to pay? Would you say that still if it was your entire family that lay dead around you?

Some extra info for you:
  11. Dec 30, 2003 #10

Staff: Mentor

You appear to be making the assumption or assertion that overall the people of Iraq were better off under Saddam than they are now or will be once we rebuild their country and set up their democratic govt. Is that what you are saying?
  12. Dec 30, 2003 #11

Would you have been happier if we let those people die and rot while we just stand by??

What do you think about the Iranian government denying an Israeli humanitarian squad access to help??
  13. Dec 30, 2003 #12

oh haahahaha, I love that you followed that with this quantitative jewel!!

"something like"?? Where are you getting your figures? 'Clueless'?

Well, according to your following article, we didn't kill them. They just got caught in the crossfire, "sadly", and just like "We cannot say with any certainty that Iraqi chemical weapons killed the Kurds", we cannot say with any certainty that American weapons killed the Iraqis.

Do you ever stop the rhetoric? Another article of "ohhh, I saw it, so believe me! You have to! I have no proof, but believe me!"
  14. Dec 31, 2003 #13

That's one hell of an assumption, russ.
  15. Dec 31, 2003 #14

Dude, do you not watch the news? 8000+ innocent civilians died due to US bombing. They were alive before the US invaded. Now they're dead. Figure it out. They were better off when the USA was "standing by".

I think it's silly, but I understand their reasons. Israel tends to fly over and blow up Iranians now and then. Tell me, what do you think of the USA's refusal to allow China's nuclear inspectors absolute and unrestricted access to the USA's nuclear arsenal?
  16. Dec 31, 2003 #15
    Often while they were still possibly alive, actually. They would spray trenches with machine gun fire, then fill in the trenches as they went, with the scoop of the bulldozer hacking off protruding limbs...

and none of this has anything to do with this thread...get back on topic, or I'm bringing down the hammer, kids...and it is a small hammer, but it stings like the dickens.
  17. Dec 31, 2003 #16
    You're not familiar with formal debating of any form, are you?

And yes, many of the WIAs died later as well. Plus the increased death rate from cancer since the DU was dumped all over the place. You could easily research this stuff yourself. Do that first, then make silly complaints.

See above. Try this amazing thing called "research". You'll look less silly that way.

I don't think this little episode of stupidity from you needs any comment, really.

Research, kiddo. It won't take long.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?