Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iran & US Friendship

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    why should we fight? if we shouldn't, why we are fighting each other?
    in your opinion, in what circumstances will Iran and US trust each other, and help each other in common problems and issues? why we have such a dark picture of Iran in US and US in Iran? can't we solve old problems?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

One could write a book, and in fact many people have, on such questions.

Basically there is a competition for control and influence in the world, and the political and economic leaderships of both country are acting in belligerent manners.

Certainly leaders like Bush and Ahmadenijad and there coarse rhetoric inflame the situation.

One could go back to the 1950's and the Anglo-American lead coup that toppled the Iranian government and democratically-elected administration of Prime Minister Mohammed Mosaddeq and his cabinet.

It would help if Iran was more democratic, and it would help if the US was more democratic and had responsible political leadership.

The role of Islam in the political system is problematic for the secular west, especially when some fundamentalists are calling for violent action (jihad) against the west.

Then there is the historical conflict between Shii and Sunni, which must be resolved peacefully - but is that possible.

And then there is the issue of Israel and Palestine, which must also be resolved peacefully, but how?
  4. Oct 19, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Astronuc has highlighted some of the key issues.

but I would like to add that conflicts in the world is inevitable as long as there are
    jealousy, hate and greed....etc. :frown:

as far as the Iran vs US situation, now Bush is using the word "World War 3"... oh my god!

why those two disagree with each other and indeed other problems in the world? it all traces back to one word... religion
    (if you don't agree with my assessment, well... I would like to hear your side of the story)

5. Oct 19, 2007 #4
    I've kind of gotten over the large crowds of people shouting feverously with fist thrusting in the air..............

I want to give them all a big hug now.

Bush and Ahmadenijad both make me sick. Why can't we all just get along?
  6. Oct 19, 2007 #5

You want to hug someone who is chanting "death to america"?!? Good luck with that!
  7. Oct 19, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

I think you 've got what I was saying.... :smile:

religion is a very powerful force, that's why Communism does not tolerate it. Religion can be good in many aspects of life but when ppl disagree it can be deadly as well. Over centuries, it was (and still is) an impetus for ppl to hate each other. All groups wish to continue to speard their powers/influence (for goods or not) so that they can continue to exist. But inevitably, different groups (as they grow) will eventually interact and conflict may then arise.

for many ppl, their moral ideals (what is right/wrong) come from their religion, and often moral ideals or what they meant by "justice" dictate their actions (whether they are "controlled"/brainwashed by powerful religious leaders or not).
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  8. Oct 19, 2007 #7
    Actually the number of American deaths in Iraq is close to 4000 and 50000 Americans died in Vietnam. It will be a while before the Iraq equals Vietnam.

However the questions about the vampires is a good one. Just remember Hitler was voted in.
  9. Oct 19, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Iran was a side to the bloodiest, longest war in some time which was very bloody and really long. Tens of thousands perished; including Iranian child soldiers who should have been in school but were sent to invade Iraqi minefields. If you have double standards, be honest and say so. If you don't, then face the implications of your statement.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  10. Oct 19, 2007 #9

Homework Helper

we have to also realise that due to technological and medical advancement, war casualities would be a lot lower now than in the past. having said that, each human lives should be valued and not treated as mere numbers.... so whether it is 300 or 3000, we should not, for any moment, think that it is OK or BETTER to have 300 instead of 3000 kills, otherwise, we are really implying that a small loss of lives is acceptable.
  11. Oct 20, 2007 #10

Certainly those are key problems, and always have been.

It's not so much religion as a corruption of religion, which includes hypocrisy.

What is it about religion? Well religion is about people - lots of them. And with multitudes of people comes the temptation to 'control' those people, or at least influence them, for personal gain, or vanity (egotism).

Looking at the religious and political leaders who espouse violence, there is not much of a difference, and those who promote violence use their religosity as a facade, and that includes Ahmadenijad and Bush.
  12. Oct 20, 2007 #11

That's kinda misleading since Hitler siezed power far beyond what was given to him when elected.
  13. Oct 20, 2007 #12
    Until Israel can come to an agreement with its neighbours and stop just accusing everyone of being evil terrorists there will be no middle ground with US - Iran relations becasue the US pretty much does Israels bidding in middle eastern issues. The whole nuclear issue is a fallacy, even if Iran launched ten nukes tomorrow they would not get half way to the US before intercepted, and Iran and its entire population would be annexed back to the stone age by Israel and the US within minutes. Ahmedinijad is an idiot, but he's not completely stupid.

Thats the other issue, Irans hate for israel is just as much as Israels hate for Iran. If those two countries dont resolve their differences soon i fear we will be seeing nuckear srikes on Iran from Israel, which isn't going to do world stability much good.
  14. Oct 20, 2007 #13

I'm curious exactly what powers did Hitler seize that weren't handed to him on foot of a vote??
  15. Oct 26, 2007 #14
    RETORIC............... we are full of it, I'll look in the mirror if you do.

"So I told people that if you're interested in avoiding World War III, it seems like you ought to be interested" in ensuring Iran not gain the capacity to develop such weapons. "I take the threat of Iran with a nuclear weapon very seriously,"

~ President George W. Bush

"U.S. policy must be clear and unequivocal: We cannot, we should not, we must not permit Iran to build or acquire nuclear weapons. In dealing with this threat, no option can be taken off the table."

~ Senator Hillary Clinton

The world must work to stop Iran’s uranium enrichment program and prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. It is far too dangerous to have nuclear weapons in the hands of a radical theocracy. And while we should take no option, including military action, off the table, sustained and aggressive diplomacy combined with tough sanctions should be our primary means to prevent Iran from building nuclear weapons.

~ Senator Barack Obama

Diplomacy, Not War, With Iran
    By Bill Richardson
    Saturday, February 24, 2007; Page A19

Click the link to read the whole Washington Post article authored by Bill Richardson .

There is a difference.......................Bill Richardson in 2008.
  16. Oct 26, 2007 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what's stopping Iran from denouncing violence against Israel? Could it be because being the champions of jihad is the Iranian government's major chance of long-term survival, domestically? Otherwise, why would Iran be trying so hard to outdo Prophet Mohammad's ("peace upon him") people as international champions of Islam?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  17. Oct 27, 2007 #16
    I heard an interview of a Mr (insert Iranian name here), some former dignitary, and he says that the young adults of Iran are on the verge of a revolution. All they need is a catalyst in the form of moral support from the US, nothing more, and Iran will change itself from within. The old ways of Iranian dictatorship and hardline religion are going away. The new generation over there, thanks to education and worldwide communication, are ready to run the show.

Interesting if this is true. It would explain Bush's recent democracy pep talk towards the Iranian people in his speech.

Things could rock over there without much involvement from the US if this is accurate.
  18. Oct 27, 2007 #17
    That is the problem, If any action is taken against Iran we will end up in another non existent WMD situation, and we will find out actually Iran was not making a bomb (like they have maintained all along).

The only reason that Iran might want a bomb in the first place is becasue we have sold Israel hundreds of nuclear warheads in the past, and Iran feels threatened by Israel. Ahmedinijad never said he wanted to wipe Israel off the map, the closest translation to what the Iranian President actually said is, "The regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time". Barely a day goes by that one can avoid reading or hearing yet another Israeli, American or British warhawk regurgitate the broken record that Iran's President Ahmadinejad threatened to "wipe Israel off the map," framed in the ridiculous context that Israelis are being targeted for a second holocaust (when in reality only Israel has the capability to do that to Iran, not Iran to Israel).

To claim Ahmadinejad has issued a rallying cry to ethnically cleanse Israel is akin to saying that Churchill wanted to murder all Germans when he stated his desire to crush the Nazis. This is about the demise of a corrupt occupying power, not the deaths of millions of innocent people. Neither side really wants that.

Edit; I read this today in which an official close to Cheyney suggests that an Israeli attack on Iran is part of the wider middle eastern plan; http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/66157 i dont think that would do world stability any good considering russias position on Iran.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  19. Oct 27, 2007 #18
    The Supreme Leader appoints the 6 mullahs of the Guardian Council as well as the head of the judicial system, who nominates the remaining 6 members of the Council. Thus the Supreme Leader has both direct and indirect control over the Council that [EDIT] elects and removes [/EDIT] him. The Council of Guardians also disqualifies candidates to both elected bodies, and they have repeatedly done so when they perceived reformists as obtaining too much power.

One can say the exact same about the Iranian leadership.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  20. Oct 27, 2007 #19
    Israel never procured nuclear material or knowledge from the US.

Oh, that makes it okay then.
  21. Oct 27, 2007 #20
    no, i am just pointing out that contrary to popular opinion Ahmedinijad does not hate Israeli's, he is always very specific that it is Zionism that he opposes. And since Zionism is basically a rascist ideology, i think that he is entitled to not like Israels Zionist regime. The idea that Iran would attack Israel unprovoked is stupid, Before Iran had a chance Israel (and the US, UK, etc) would destroy it ten times over within minutes.

Most of the slightly provocative statements Ahmedinijad makes are only made so he can keep his popular support with the people, and statements like that do very well to keep oil prices very high, as every time the risk of war increases, so does the price of oil.
    The middle east is a very complex situation, but it does seem that most of the middle eastern issues have one common factor; Israel.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?