Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iranian Earthquake

1. Dec 26, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't believe the news everytime I hear these things.. they say 20,000 were killed in the Bam Earthquake.. and a major Iranian cultural heritage was destoyed at the same time (2000 yr old citadel).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2003 #2
    Together with the items destroyed and stolen from Baghdad's museum during the invasion, we have all lost a lot of irreplacable things. A great chunk of our history is gone.

4. Dec 26, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You must have missed the retraction of that story. The museum curator was misquoted. The vast majority of the items reported lost (some 20,000) were in a vault in a sewer. Most of the rest were in the homes of the museum workers.

And yeah, Monique - sometimes we forget how good we have it in the west. 20,000 is not an unusual number of deaths for a decent sized earthquake in the 3rd world. In the US last week an almost identical quake killed TWO.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  5. Dec 26, 2003 #4
    Iran is a 3rd world nation?

6. Dec 27, 2003 #5
    Stories are often retracted after pressure from the government. This may not be the same case, but I would not be surprised if it were true. US soldiers looting Iraqi museum does not make Bush look good, so a retraction may have been necessary to maintain the status quo.

7. Dec 27, 2003 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't we have some members from Iran?

8. Jan 1, 2004 #7
  9. Jan 1, 2004 #8
    The retraction holds just as much weight as the initial story, and unless we have proof of a coverup, it holds more.

Why dont you guys ever drop the constant conspiracy theories, and simply acknowledge that this was a horrible loss of life (instead of another chance for you to get on your soapbox about how evil the US is). I personally hope that this event is a reminder of how good we have it. I hope temporary drop on sanction to Iran for donations of aid and support is used to it's fullest extent.

Agencies helping can be found on the right side of this article:
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/1203/31iranquake.html

10. Jan 2, 2004 #9

russ_watters

Heh, US soldiers? You misread the story. There was never any allegation of that from anywhere (however, I can't say I've checked every conspiracy theory site - I'm talking about the mainstream press story).
    Yeah, I really hate how every thread turns into a 'the US is evil' thread. 20,000+ people died in an earthquake - but wait, thats not important, the US is evil! And those evil bastards sent rescue teams. Bastards.

11. Jan 2, 2004 #10
  12. Jan 2, 2004 #11

kat

I agree the ignorance...particularly that which is displayed in the tone that some people use in regards to others..is astonishing.

anywhooo.

It seems that there are some, who one would assume are in the "know", that would disagree with you...

Presenting....

MR. MEHDI MOLLAHOSSEINI,
    REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN
    TO THE UNITED NATIONS,
    AT THE 25TH SESSION OF THE COMMITTEE ON INFORMATION
    29 APRIL 2003

http://www.un.org/ga/coi/statements03/iran.htm

OOPS! What's wrong with those people! How come they don't know what YOU know Adam! It's a global travesty! Oh My Gawds! I just can't believe it!

13. Jan 2, 2004 #12

russ_watters

Its pretty simple, Adam. The terms "third world" and "developing" are referring to industrialization. Iran is not a fully-industrialized nation.

Anyway, to get this back to the topic of the earthquake (sorta), have you guys seen THIS. It seems what I posted yesterday sarcastically is coming out of the mouths of Iranian leaders in all seriousness today.
    So planeloads of aid workers and medical supplies are a manifestation of our hostility? Frankly, this is a validation of what I and others (Bush) have been saying all along. The government (specifically, the clerics who are really in control) is motivated soley by blind hatred toward the US. They endeavour to keep their populace under control through fear and hatred of us. Fortunately they are failing, but its no wonder Iran is/was a hotbed of terrorism. Its their rallying point.

14. Jan 2, 2004 #13
    Well, I am very surprised that an Iranian would refer to Iran in such a way.

Iran and USA have almost identical life expectancy. Similar population growth rate. The USA has six times as many (by percentage) people infected with HIV. USA has higher literacy (dropping by the year). Iran has a higher GDP growth rate. USA has better rates for poverty and unemployment. Iran has an undustrial growth rate of 5.5%, while the USA has -0.4%.

Yep, you're right. Iran is getting better, while the USA is getting worse. I guess the fact that the state is improving does make it a developing nation. The same must then apply to Australia.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  15. Jan 2, 2004 #14
    US troops have looted quite a bit of antiquities. Several have been caught trying to smuggle valuables home. At least that's what the marine who admits he also looted antiquities told me as the reason he didn't send any home yet.

16. Jan 2, 2004 #15
    You are so ****ing smarter than me. haha.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2004
  17. Jan 2, 2004 #16
    Of course I am. What's your point? I still don't see why you said Iran is third world. It seems you think countries can be either superpowers OR third world, and nothing else.

18. Jan 2, 2004 #17
    I think the definition is pretty clear :) Now the debate is whether they are developing or not- I leading Iranian says yes, you say no, so what now?

19. Jan 2, 2004 #18
  20. Jan 2, 2004 #19

kat

I'm not, it's an honest appraisal and from it's recent past a very positive thing hopefully it is the beginning of many more positive "developments" Some off the top of my head would be women's rights, religious freedoms, freedom of the press and the a biggie from the Universal Declaration of Human rights "The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures. In my mind that is what brings a country out of the "3rd world" status and into the 1st and it somehow seems to me devoloping to 1st world status and the right to self govern go somewhat hand in hand. The success of Israel a democracy in the midst of tyranny a good example.

I'm sorry, I didn't attend the public school system so we may not be seeing things from the same vantage point but please do tell me how Iran's total population life expectancy of 69 is almost identical to the US's 77?
    I'm not really sure that's true as I believe the US's population growth can be mainly attributed to immigration but I could be mistaken.
    You know..it's just quite possible that this can be attributed to greater sexual freedom for both men and women as opposed to developing or undeveloping.
    well yes it does. Of course, that may have something to do with Iran's GDP purchasing power parity being around $460 billion and the US's being over 10 trillion. Or per capita Iran's at 7 thousan and the US's at 36..obviously Iran has a bit more room for improvement.
    you seem to minimize the signifance of this....low poverty and high employment are also measures of devoloped or developing status. That the U.S. poverty rate hovers around 13% and Iran's is over 40...is significant.
    same issue as that of the GDP although the issue of industrial growth and the loss of it are rather prickly points in the U.S. particulary for the "blue" collar workers..maybe less so for the "white" collar.

I think you need to get out a bit more..maybe a little sunshine will help?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  21. Jan 3, 2004 #20

kat

Small point. Mr. Mehdi Mollahosseini does not work for the UN. He works for Iran as a representative of his country to the global body of the U.N.. That does indeed make him a "Leading Iranian" I doubt that your x girlfriend was sent as the official Australian representative to speak on behalf of Australia and before the U.N...but if indeed she was then she is also..despite any personal relationship with yourself...a leading Australian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?