Iran Earthquake: 20,000 Killed, 2000 yr Old Citadel Destroyed

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary: I see. So it wasn't actually 20,000 people that died after all...more like a couple thousand.In summary, the Iranian government retracted a story that said 20,000 people were killed in an earthquake. Most of the deaths were in the homes of museum workers. There was never any allegation of US soldiers looting the museum.

Let me just walk you through this interaction so that it's absolutely clear.

Originally posted by phatmonky
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=third world

Would you not consider Iran developing? Or have they hit superpower status in secret?
The dictionary link given states that the meaning of the term "third world" means "The developing nations of Africa, Asia, and Latin American.

Originally posted by Adam preceded by a long list of tourist links (har har)
Iran was a "developing nation" six thousand years ago. Good grief. The ignorance of some people is astronishing.

I respond:

Originally posted by kat

MR. MEHDI MOLLAHOSSEINI,
REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN
TO THE UNITED NATIONS,
AT THE 25TH SESSION OF THE COMMITTEE ON INFORMATION
29 APRIL 2003

http://www.un.org/ga/coi/statements03/iran.htm

OOPS! What's wrong with those people! How come they don't know what YOU know Adam! It's a global travesty! Oh My Gawds! I just can't believe it!

Russ further clarifies for you:

Originally posted by russ_watters
Its pretty simple, Adam. The terms "third world" and "developing" are referring to industrialization. Iran is not a fully-industrialized nation.

You come back with some fruity sarcastic reply:

Originally posted by Adam
Well, I am very surprised that an Iranian would refer to Iran in such a way.

Iran and USA have almost identical life expectancy. Similar population growth rate. The USA has six times as many (by percentage) people infected with HIV. USA has higher literacy (dropping by the year). Iran has a higher GDP growth rate. USA has better rates for poverty and unemployment. Iran has an undustrial growth rate of 5.5%, while the USA has -0.4%.

Yep, you're right. Iran is getting better, while the USA is getting worse. I guess the fact that the state is improving does make it a developing nation. The same must then apply to Australia.

Then...despite the fact that the dictionary link..that you later use to attempt to support...whatever it is your really trying to argue...clearly shows that Iran is a third world aka developing naiton..you state:

I still don't see why you said Iran is third world. It seems you think countries can be either superpowers OR third world, and nothing else.
I get a whiff of straw here (while were pointing out logical errors)

Phatmonkey then clarifies that the dictionary is clear on developing=3rd world and that it's clear Iran through it's spokesman in an official capacity has stated that Iran is a developing country

Originally posted by phatmonky
I think the definition is pretty clear :) Now the debate is whether they are developing or not- I leading Iranian says yes, you say no, so what now?

You then agree that Iran it is correct to refer to Iran as a developing nation...confirming that is correct according to the dictionary to say that Iran is a third world country..of course interesting enough you offer the same link to the term 3rd world country at dictionary.com as your evidence that it's not applicable...when it's already proven to be...applicable..huh?

I agree that Iran's economy is improving, they have industrial growth, therefore it does seem appropriate to refer to it as developing.

However, it is clearly NOT a third world nation, as was originally stated.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=first world
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=second world
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=third world

And "leading Iranian", because he works for the UN? My ex-girlfriend works for the UN too.

maybe that's why you decided to attack the position of MR. Mehdi Mollahosseini and fudge with the fact that Iran herself has sent Mr. Mehdi Mollahosseini as their representative. Nobody said he was "leading Iran" only that he was a leading Iranian. slight difference I know but big enough to make your comments..really silly. I did try to clarify this for you. You'll note the quotation marks around "Leading Iranian".

Originally posted by kat
Small point. Mr. Mehdi Mollahosseini does not work for the UN. He works for Iran as a representative of his country to the global body of the U.N.. That does indeed make him a "Leading Iranian" I doubt that your x girlfriend was sent as the official Australian representative to speak on behalf of Australia and before the U.N...but if indeed she was then she is also..despite any personal relationship with yourself...a leading Australian.

Then, having already proven that the Dictionary's definition is applicable and that it does indeed show that Iran as developing country is quantifiable as "third world" you revisit the issue AGAIN, totally ignoring that the dictionary link YOU GAVE proves that it is applicable! *boggle*

How can you say Iran is a third world country? Did you not read the definitions I supplied?

Then you again veer off into some bizarre place where what is said above about Mr Mehdi Mollahosseini being an official spokesperson for Iran on a GLOBAL level is the equivelant of simply being a leading Iranian because...he...worked...for Iran...uh? can you see the problem here? again *boggle*

Heck, I worked for Australia. Two of my cousins do still. Are we "leading Australians"?

Then russ...tries to clarify for you AGAIN that indeed your dictionary link to the term 3rd world prove that Iran as the developing nation it is...indeed is considered third world...

Originally posted by russ_watters
Did you read them? You said yourself that Iran is developing:

Then with all of the above, with the dictionary link that not only phatmonky but yourself supplied having proven the point you come back with:

Good grief. The reading comprehension skills are declining.

Third world nation: Non-industrialised nations in Africa, Central America, South America, and Asia which were not strictly part of the NATO or Warsaw Pact alliances.

Now, these were strictly Cold War propaganda terms. They apply to Cold War entities. Now, at various times, Iran was occupied by, and allied with, either the USA side or the USSR side. That condition alone precludes the possibility of Iran being a third world nation.

Iran is developing, yes. But it is not, and never has been, a third world nation.

You criticize his reading comprehension, and then offer a your own re-vamped definition with a restriction that the term third world only be used towards nations that were not part of NATO or Warsaw pact alliances...further restricting the term to only cold war propaganda usage. These is not a restriction given by the dictionary in regards to third world. It is given in regards to the usage of the term "first world" and "second world". There is however, according to the dictionary's definition and common usage NO RESTRICTION to usage of the term "third world" in the manner you try to purvey.

Later when I do try to point out your error here you come back with:

I used the source I linked to earlier, for your convenience. You could thank me for it. I like to assist in peoples' education now and then.

You dishonesty isn't an education I care to take up. you'll not be getting any "thank you" from this direction *boggle*

Then, we come back to our "Leading Iranian" issue.
1) You missed the point entirely. To put it simply: I worked for Australia, yet I was not involved in the leaderhip of Australia. Taht gentleman works for Iran; why do you say he is involved in some leadership capacity?
Quite frankly, you obviously missed the point entirely and if your not simply dishonest in your argument then even franker, your reading comprension is horrendeous.

To prove my point...you continue with:

[/QUOTE]

2) If you knew what we do, you would not be frightened of Australia, but frightened by it.
[/QUOTE] If you scroll back you will qiute clearly see that I said frightened "FOR"..not "OF" or "BY"!

and then finally it comes back around to...despite the dictionary defition:

Iran is developing. Iran is not a third world nation. "Developing" and "third world" are not the same thing. Why is this so difficult for you?

AEEEIIII *up to my ovaries with this bull*****

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What caused the Iran earthquake?</h2><p>The Iran earthquake was caused by the movement of tectonic plates beneath the Earth's surface. Iran is located in a region known as the Alpide Belt, which is prone to earthquakes due to the collision of the Arabian and Eurasian plates.</p><h2>2. How strong was the earthquake?</h2><p>The earthquake, which occurred on December 26, 2003, had a magnitude of 6.6 on the Richter scale. This is considered a strong earthquake and can cause significant damage to structures and infrastructure.</p><h2>3. How many people were killed in the earthquake?</h2><p>The earthquake resulted in the deaths of approximately 20,000 people. This was due to a combination of factors, including the strength of the earthquake, the population density in the affected area, and the vulnerability of buildings and structures.</p><h2>4. What is the significance of the 2000-year-old citadel that was destroyed?</h2><p>The 2000-year-old citadel, known as the Bam Citadel, was a UNESCO World Heritage site and a significant historical and cultural landmark in Iran. Its destruction was a significant loss to the country's cultural heritage.</p><h2>5. Could this earthquake have been predicted?</h2><p>Unfortunately, earthquakes cannot be predicted with certainty. While scientists can monitor and study fault lines, there is currently no reliable method for predicting when and where an earthquake will occur. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are helping to improve our understanding of earthquakes and may one day lead to better prediction methods.</p>

1. What caused the Iran earthquake?

The Iran earthquake was caused by the movement of tectonic plates beneath the Earth's surface. Iran is located in a region known as the Alpide Belt, which is prone to earthquakes due to the collision of the Arabian and Eurasian plates.

2. How strong was the earthquake?

The earthquake, which occurred on December 26, 2003, had a magnitude of 6.6 on the Richter scale. This is considered a strong earthquake and can cause significant damage to structures and infrastructure.

3. How many people were killed in the earthquake?

The earthquake resulted in the deaths of approximately 20,000 people. This was due to a combination of factors, including the strength of the earthquake, the population density in the affected area, and the vulnerability of buildings and structures.

4. What is the significance of the 2000-year-old citadel that was destroyed?

The 2000-year-old citadel, known as the Bam Citadel, was a UNESCO World Heritage site and a significant historical and cultural landmark in Iran. Its destruction was a significant loss to the country's cultural heritage.

5. Could this earthquake have been predicted?

Unfortunately, earthquakes cannot be predicted with certainty. While scientists can monitor and study fault lines, there is currently no reliable method for predicting when and where an earthquake will occur. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are helping to improve our understanding of earthquakes and may one day lead to better prediction methods.