Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant is operational

• News
  • Thread starter Bodge
  • Start date
What is your point? That because we interfered with their political affairs in the past that they have the right to have nuclear weapons now? Sorry, but I don't buy that. Europe had colonized many African nations in the past but I don't think that means, say, Ethiopia or Sudan has the right to have nuclear weapons.
Framing this in terms of rights is faintly ridiculous. There is no such thing as a right to own nukes. Signatories of the NPT (of which Iran is one) volunteer to not develop them. That, the Wassenaar agreement and the SALT treaty is just about all the legal framework there is to nukes.

QuantumPion
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Framing this in terms of rights is faintly ridiculous. There is no such thing as a right to own nukes. Signatories of the NPT (of which Iran is one) volunteer to not develop them. That, the Wassenaar agreement and the SALT treaty is just about all the legal framework there is to nukes.
Right. Hence my original post in response to this quote on page 1:

Every country has the right to own nuclear power facilities, not only USA and Israel.

shashankac655
What is your point? That because we interfered with their political affairs in the past that they have the right to have nuclear weapons now? Sorry, but I don't buy that. Europe had colonized many African nations in the past but I don't think that means, say, Ethiopia or Sudan has the right to have nuclear weapons.
And who decides that? NPT is a fraud,The only reason why the US and other Western countries have signed it is because they do virtual nuclear tests to upgrade their nukes and in turn preach/bully other countries not to conduct nuclear tests. Technically NOBODY has signed the NPT ,it is just a tool of powerful nations to fool other less powerful nations.

PAST? It's not just the past (see the links about libya) ,it's happening even now ,it's called
Neo-colonialism

Last edited by a moderator:
And who decides that? NPT is a fraud,The only reason why the US and other Western countries have signed it is because they do virtual nuclear tests to upgrade their nukes and in turn preach/bully other countries not conduct nuclear tests. Technically NOBODY has signed the NPT ... [/url]
Yes, in an important sense the NPT is a sham. And there's no real rule by international law. What exists is a situation in which certain well armed and predominantly powerful countries don't want to allow Iran to become a player in the military nuclear game. And, in the opinions of many pundits, if Iran persists in a perceived trend to develop nuclear military capability, then Iran is going to get hit really hard ... primarily by Israel, with extensive US backing.

One can argue that it's Iran's right to develop nuclear military capability, but in an arena where might, not justice, determines the course of events, Iran is simply not going to be allowed to develop nuclear military capability.

Last edited:
chiro
Science Advisor
Why don't we just make the entire world a 'Minority Report' system.

We might as well just arrest everyone with a pre-crime conviction and prevent everything that will happen to 'protect the world'.

Unbelievable.....