Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iran's defense minister is thinking of taking Bush's lead.

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    Apparently, Iran's defense minister is a fan of this preemptive war stuff, and figures that if using preemptive war is good enough for the USA, that it would be good enough for Iran, and is thinking of preemptively attacking Isreal, specifically their nuclear facilities. Also, due to American presence in neighboring Iraq, he's beginning to think that the USA might pose some sort of threat and attack the US in some way.

I heard this on Air America, so take it as you will. Some will say the fact that no one else is reporting it shows the media sucks and is leaning to the right, some will say that this shows the story is unfounded, take your pick.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2004 #2

kat

Lol, I think that is why Israel was developing second strike capabilities. I haven't heard anything about Israel's nuclear sub in a quite awhile but...Iran might want to tread softly.

Also, he's been attacking the U.S., in Iraq...where have you been?

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3
    Oh man, that's great, Iran thinking of attacking Isreal gets a "Lol", I love it! :rofl:

Anyway, are you serious about attacking the US? The Iranian defense minister has ordered Iranian soldiers to go and fight against the USA in Iraq? I knew that Iranians were travelling to Iraq to fight Americans, but didn't think it was a govt. policy...

5. Aug 22, 2004 #4

kat

Naw, I'm not laughing at that. I'm laughing because it's typical Iranian bluster. I am sure they realize that Israel was intent on creating 2nd strike abilities in the form of a nuclear submarine. The world may not remember, or even uphold the "never again" credo, but you better believe Israel does.

Just because it's not public policy, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That was a somewhat off the cuff remark but..I don't believe people are leaving Iran to fight in Iraq without government aproval.

6. Aug 22, 2004 #5
    Man, Isreal's so kickass, they just live where every country for thousands of miles wants to annihilate them and they kick everyone else's ass!

Ok, it's not public policy, but are you saying that Iran supports people going to fight Americans in the sense that they say "Go do your best!", or actually secretly trains/arms them?

7. Aug 22, 2004 #6

kat

Oh, I'm saying they are training/arming and sending them.

8. Aug 22, 2004 #7
    But look who they are fighting. As anyone from that region won a war (or even battle) since the glory days of the Ottoman Empire?

9. Aug 22, 2004 #8
    The Taliban kicked out the Soviets, but that was with training and arming from Reagan, so I don't know if that counted.

And Saddam took Kuwait...
    For a few days...

10. Aug 22, 2004 #9

kat

Muslim entity in Lebanon, with the help of syria chased Israel and the United States out of Lebanon..Syria in effect won over the Christian factions of Lebanon and still occupies it.

11. Aug 22, 2004 #10
    I would not consider Afghanistan to be included in the region. And the Taliban didn't really kick out the Soviets — home economics went asunder and made the occupation of Afghanistan pointless.

I would hardly call America's involvement in Lebanon a war. If the United States had acted as if in a war against Syria, it would have driven the Syrian Army across Iraq and into the Persian Gulf.

12. Aug 23, 2004 #11
    I wonder what would happen if we just all condemned Iran for these words. Oh wait, we must blame Bush again to escalate things further.

13. Aug 23, 2004 #12

kat

JD-You said battle or war...and Syria certainly still occupies Lebanon.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  14. Aug 23, 2004 #13
    Fine, but if anything your example proves my point -- Syria defeated Israel, but the whole point of my post was that the Israelis are overrated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?