Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iraq PM cripples McCain's campaign

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    McCain calls Obama "naive" about Iraq but apparently Nuri al-Maliki doesn't. I don't think this was covered in many American sources. The NY Observer did pick it up but Der Spiegel ran the original story (apparently Maliki's translator was the one who mistranslated what Maliki said):

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,566914,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, Malicki's comments caused some pain for both Bush and McCain: Maliki votes for Obama

Bush's response causes even more pain for McCain: President George W Bush spikes some of John McCain's guns

Bush's response is the only realistic response he could have given. What else was he going to say - "We won't leave until we're good and ready?"

Don't worry, it'll get worse. Republicans still need to figure out how to drag an unpopular, lame duck President through the convention unnoticed (Party Crasher). Suggestions range from having Bush speak Sunday night (the convention starts Monday) to, more realistically, surround Bush with his family, from the more popular Bush 41 to the very popular Laura Bush. Ten of the 12 Republican Senators facing a close election fight this fall have suddenly found conflicts that prevent them from attending the convention.

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the comment more damaging to Obama?

Brown person attempting to become president (all brown people are terrorists!)
    Brown president of terrorist country thanks Obama for promising to remove troops
    Troops are only thing stopping terrorists
    Therefore Obama is a terrorist

5. Jul 30, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Republican candidate for governor here in Washington State only identifies his party as "GOP." No where on his website, posters, or ads have I seen the word "Republican."

6. Jul 30, 2008 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe :uhh:. You're scaring the carp out of me since it requires so many detachments from reality, but ....... maybe.

7. Jul 30, 2008 #6
    The people who would think that are racists who already had their mind set not to vote for Obama, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

8. Jul 30, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to LOL when I heard about some of the private reassurances given that Maliki wasn't talking about a timeline. There was recently a very interesting observation made by the NY Times foreign affairs correspondent, and three time Pulitzer Prize winning, Thomas L. Friedman:

"In the US, politicians lie in public and tell the truth in private. In the ME, politicians lie in private and tell the truth in public."

9. Jul 30, 2008 #8
    He probably wants to ally himself closer to Iran given that he personally is a shia and is a member of a Shia leaning party, I believe at one point was even extremist as well.

Also, take a look at where the ISCI, another member of Iraq's Shia-Kurdish-Kawa government, was founded. In Iran, and have been known to start up sectarian conflicts among groups, including other Shia leaders.

The US has simply failed to colonize the country, and the current "downplay" of violence is only because Iran, Syria, etc. no longer fear a stable Iraq with people like al-Maliki in power and have thus called on Muqtada al-Sadr and so on to draw down his forces, so they will be there when the US pulls out, allowing Iran to continue its leverage in the region.

10. Jul 30, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how an endorsement by a foreign head of state can "cripple" McCain's campaign. Obama got a boost in the polls from his trip due to the high profile nature, but it certainly doesn't guarantee him the win.

11. Jul 30, 2008 #10
    I don't see how Bush can claim that Nouri al-Maliki represents stability in Iraq because of Iraq's semi-stabalization of Sadr city, Basra, and Mosul, while not adhering to his calls for removal of US troops, whom he previously said should be removed [i.e. Maliki], and who is now supported by Iran to some degree anyway, even though Bush claims he is the best hope in keeping Iranian influence out of Iraq.

How to make sense of this, I don't know. Maybe they just don't want to destablize Iraq during an election year.

Then again, who really has more influence with the Iraqi people, al-Maliki, or Muqtada al-Sadr?

12. Jul 30, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow...

It's only damaging to Obama in people whose thought process is extraordinarily, um, bendy...

13. Jul 30, 2008 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like the 25%that believe he's muslim, or the 50% that believe Iraq was behind 9/11.

Normally presidential candidates stay away from foreign trips. Foreign affairs don't score highly in US elections and the few voters that see the candidate as a statesman are out numbered by the ones that see him standing next to a soviet/european/arab enemy leader (pick decade).

14. Jul 30, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: ...yeah, good point...!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?