Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iraq vs. Iran what's this about?

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    Iraq ad Iran are neighbors. Yet they seem to truely dispise one another. What is this hatred based on? Why are they so passionate about it? What started it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2
    You'll learn tons about this at wikipedia.

Here's just a small sample:

.... and it continues with much more detail.

I really encourage you to check the link. Wikipedia does a great job linking all the sources of information within the articles - you'll surf around at the site and in fifteen minutes know more than you ever though possible about the area.
  4. Aug 11, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Perhaps an even more interesting question would be what is the relationship now, and what will it be going forward?
  5. Aug 11, 2005 #4
    Do you think they have cooled off enough to be civilized with one another? Also, has there been anything in the news about how Iraq feels about the Iranians having nuclear materials?

6. Aug 11, 2005 #5

Gold Member

What has happened recently that you say "Iraq vs. Iran"?
  7. Aug 11, 2005 #6
    Its not really so much as reently happened. I was thinking about the Iraq/Iran war in the 80's and I remember something a history teacher of mine had said that it traces back much further than the 1980's. In attempting to think of a title for my thread I just put Iraq vs Iran. I don't know much about it other than they aren't fond of one another and they've been arguing on and off over the years.

8. Aug 11, 2005 #7

Gold Member

They're not fond of one another because it's dangerous for US and countries which support US. You can study more about middle-east history and then you'll see most of wars and problems happen there. And if you study alot you'll find out US and other powerful countres have never a nutral role in these war. They always support 1 of the side which were involved in the war.
    Anyway you can't say there must be some problems btw them yet because we have lots of other examples that 2 countries were each other enemies but now everything has finished.
  9. Aug 11, 2005 #8
    They were feuding well before the U.S. and other world countries came into the picture. As Pattylou said earlier, they were fighting back into Mesopotamian times. That is well before our history. I was wondering why they have been arguing and fighting for so long. I doubt their feud from that time has anything to do with the U.S.

10. Aug 11, 2005 #9
    Iran Saddam trial

Watch out for this one. The USA encouraged Saddam to use chemical weapons against the Iranians during the 1980's war.

The first chemical Saddam used was a concentrated pesticide (methylisocyanide). It was manufactured in Bophal India at a plant owned by Union Carbide. [It will be difficuult if not impossibe to find a link to this as it happened so long ago.] Other chemical agents were soon to follow.
    And the purchase of the chemicals by Iraq was accomplished through loans guaranteed by the USA.

The latest news is that when Saddam goes on trial for war crimes, Iran wants the USA to be charged as an accomplice.
  11. Aug 11, 2005 #10

The link above is very interesting. It is from the U.S. Department of justice and appears to be ordering the U.S. Department of commerce to repay loans that Iraq has defaulted on.

The American taxpayers are picking up the tab as usual.
  12. Aug 11, 2005 #11
    "The Commerce Department approved at least $1.5 billion in exports with possible military applications from U.S. companies to Iraq, and the Agriculture Department administered a U.S.-goverment-guaranteed loan program that provided billions to Iraq. Thanks largely to the first George Bush, American taxpayers unwittingly co-signed for much of the loan money, and the government had to make good on these loans when Iraq later defaulted. Almost all of the transactions were legal under U.S. and international law at the time, even when the transactions either had direct military or dual-use (civilian and military) applications. Over and over again, the deals were encouraged and even abetted by the U.S. government, even after American officials had proof that Iraq was using chemical weapons to kill Iranian troops and subdue Kurdish uprisings. In fact, the Reagan administration and the first Bush administration even provided Hussein's regime with militar y intelligence during his bloody eight-year war with Iran."

This link supports the total loans. I would imagine most people know about this one.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  13. Aug 11, 2005 #12
    Good point. Especially since the most popular and influential man in Iraq right now, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, is an Iranian.
  14. Aug 11, 2005 #13
    Whatever happens you can bet your boots the U.S. taxpayers will pay for it.
  15. Aug 11, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's effective for any type of dictatorship to have an external enemy (preferably a neighbour) who everyone agree is a lot worse than the brutal leaders in their own country.
    It stabilizes a dictatorship internally.
  16. Aug 11, 2005 #15
    I think the current Iraqi government tactics are quite clever. Since Iran is getting nuclear weapons Iraq has to be friendly with the US, so they'll protect them. But instead, they're using the US's current occupation to move away from the US and snuggle up to Iran, so that when the US does pull out, they won't need them anymore because they would have, hopefully, been on friendly terms with Iran for a while.

This allows them to move away from the states, and take care of themselves. Quite clever since the US is stuck there no matter what for the time being.
  17. Aug 11, 2005 #16

Iran and Iraq are both comprised mainly of shi'ite muslims as opposed to most of the middle east which are Sunni. Now the Shi'ites are in charge in Iraq (following the overthrow of the Ba'athist Sunni gov't) it seems perfectly natural that they would have close ties with Iran. I'm surprised the American gov't didn't forsee this very dangerous (for them) eventuality when they put together their plans to remove Sadam from power??

This rivalry / hatred between the Sunnis and Shi'ites is also why the foreign insurgents are targeting the Shi'ite civilian population.
  18. Aug 11, 2005 #17
    It does seem quite silly that they wouldn't predict that. It's kind of funny, you know, that the Media was protraying the Sunni's as the bad guys and Shi'ites as good guys for so long, and not it looks like the US is really starting to claw at Iran. Goes to show the US really doesn't care about the history and ethnics of the area, it's all politics.
    I don't know about that, have there been any reports that it's mainly shi'ites (as in, not just proportional to the population numbers/density in hot areas) being killed and mainly sunni's are insurgents (I would think that, aside from those fanatical groups like Zarqawi, that it wouldn't really be a huge difference)
  19. Aug 11, 2005 #18

Zarqawi is the main leader of the foreign insurgents. In his statements he refers to the Shi'ites as something less than human which should be exterminated. Many of the attacks on civilians have been carried out by his followers against Shi'ite mosques.

Here is a good article detailing the current US / Iraq / Iran state of affairs;

The rest of this piece is at http://atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GH11Ak01.html
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  20. Aug 11, 2005 #19
    I don't see how either the Iranians or the Iraqis could ever trust the United States. In the 1980's Iran Iraq war, The U.S. government was selling arms to Iran , (despite an embargo) while loaning money to Iraq so they could buy weapons.

I am sure that they haven't forgotten this.
  21. Aug 11, 2005 #20

Gold Member

You're talking about that time? :bugeye: It's not strange because every king's wanted to develope his country at that time like other countries. And you know Iraqis are Arab but Iranian aren't. And perhaps it caused some problems for them. It's strange if you think they'res till fighting because they were fighting 200 years ago.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?