Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iraqi citizen on Iraqi soil

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

When one nation invades another, and dissolves that nation's government, it is required to make and enforce laws until a new government is formed. Not only does the US have the right to make and enforce laws in parts of Iraq, it has no choice but to do so.

Njorl

4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    So how does this not contradict holding indefinitely "enemy combatants" in Cuba?

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not enemy combatants, illegal combatants. Big difference. And most are not Iraqi.

6. Apr 6, 2004 #5
    Precisely.

7. Apr 6, 2004 #6
    Illegal Combatants?

You mean the entire USA Military force in Iraq, right?
    They are ALL illegal combatants (except in the small minds of the truly insane).

8. Apr 6, 2004 #7
    Woohoo! Dogon, I truly missed you :) Sure am glad to see you haven't left us yet.
    Please, prove to me that the Iraq was is illegal in it's entirety, for that is the only way your statement can be proven true. As such, to my most recent knowledge preemptive strike (also coupled with multiple UN resolutions and a failed armistice agreement) falls into a grey area that is apparently so unclear as the UN doesn't know what to do about legal charges.....and are presently leaning on the side of legal, since there is no talk of pressing war crime charges against anyone but Saddam and his cohorts. Please, enlighten us on what you know that isn't being made public to anyone else

9. Apr 6, 2004 #8
    Saddam's War Crimes?

Saddam's War Crime seems to me is that he lost the war.
    After all, he didn't authorise the use of Depleted-Uranium bullets (who did that?), he didn't lob any Scuds at Israel this time.
    Exactly what is his crime?
    Defending his Third World Nation against the naked aggression of the World's Strongest Military Nation?

10. Apr 6, 2004 #9
  11. Apr 6, 2004 #10

http://www.civicwebs.com/cwvlib/constitutions/un/e_un_geneva_convention_4.htm#Article 70
    You can pick the geneva convention apart yourself. There are guidelines for arrest, detainment, trial, and defense set forth.
    I didn't know murder was only against USA law :rolleyes:

12. Apr 6, 2004 #11
    I love Dogon!

13. Apr 6, 2004 #12
  14. Apr 7, 2004 #13
    1) I just started a thread about it, wasn't able to put everything in it though, so I'll set it up on a webpage.

2) I have thoroughly been through the laws regarding this, here at PF.

15. Apr 7, 2004 #14

kat

Yes, and despite that you still continue to put forth your opinion as fact, even after having it shown to be faulty.

16. Apr 7, 2004 #15
    Kat, please come back to the real world. Else demonstrate the veracity of your words.

17. Apr 7, 2004 #16
    no,no, they're definitely called "enemy combatants," and captured in Afghanistan, although some are apparently european and at least 1 american. Somebody made up the term "enemy combatant" so that they could put them in a cage indefinitely. Keeping dangerous terrorists in cages is fine with me, but the problem is that if you never have any due process, nobody knows if they are dangerous terrorists or not-- they become political prisoners.

18. Apr 7, 2004 #17
    Better prove us the Iraq war was legal. The proof is on you.

19. Apr 7, 2004 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So....you're saying your opening post was in error? Or maybe I missed your point: what exactly was your point here? It appeared that you were saying the US shouldn't be arresting Iraqi citizens. Is that your assertion? Or is this just yet another flame-bait thread?
    Irony....meter....on....overload.....Arrrrrrghh....[BAM]
    No. An enemy combatant is a legal combatant under the Geneva convention and as such is entitled to POW status.
    Sorry, no. That's not how this works. In a political discussion everyone, including you (and yes, even Adam), is expected to back up their opinion with a logical and factual argument.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  20. Apr 7, 2004 #19
    I hope that little rant made you feel better, but once again you've made a post cnotaining not one actual fact, not one actual contribution to the discussion. Congratulations.

Now for an actual contribution: The laws involved.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=18606
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=18607

21. Apr 7, 2004 #20

kat

Unlawful combatants....It was first used in ex parte quirin (sp?) when the supreme court confirmed the jurisdiction of a US military tribunal in regards to the trial of the German saboteurs in the US.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?