Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iraqi National Museum Plundered

1. Apr 12, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2003 #2
    Yeah, I just saw the same story at BBC News.

"The Americans were supposed to protect the museum. If they had just one tank and two soldiers nothing like this would have happened."

It's too bad... all that history will be lost to the rest of the world because of a few greedy individuals.

eNtRopY

4. Apr 13, 2003 #3

FZ+

Well, sh*t happens in a war.
    Mind you, stuff like the museums etc should have been evacuated beforehand. I worry more about the attacks on hospitals at the moment.

5. Apr 14, 2003 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The anarchy is the biggest failure in our war plan IMO - they should have sent 10,000 mp's into Baghdad 2 days after it was taken.

6. Apr 14, 2003 #5
    If people want to destroy their own history in the euphoria following the downfall of a dictator, let them. It's not the marines job to guard museums. No one put a gun to any Iraqi's head and said "Plunder the museum and smash some pottery".

7. Apr 14, 2003 #6

FZ+

But the fear is that the "euphoria" at the end of an dictatorship is becoming something else, an addiction to anarchy and a cynical tendency to derive profit out of chaos. Suppose tommorrow the government of the US falls apart. People would still be taking advantage of the confusion, whether they are in euphoria or not. The problem is that by encouraging the looting in the beginning, the US and UK armies have accentuated the problem when now they try to bring stability.

8. Apr 14, 2003 #7
    FZ, I agree and I would even go so far as to say that the British in Basra are doing a far better job than the Americans in Baghdad and elsewhere. I don't know whether this is because of the British military's experience from Northern Ireland or whether the British are more restrained and a bit more cerebral than the US Marines, etc. (In other words, the British are more sophisticated colonizers.)

The Americans do seem much more gung-ho and insensitive than the British: draping the American flag over Saddam's head was a daft thing to do, even if the soldier was temporarily elated and in high spirits.

9. Apr 14, 2003 #8
    It ought to be. They're the invading/occupying army. Who else is going to guard the museums -- the police? The Marines killed all the police!

Also, it's not just Iraqi history; it's world history. I remember where I first heard of the Tigris and the Euphrates...

10. Apr 14, 2003 #9
    Damgo, that's what marines are trained to do: kill people. You can't expect frontline combat troops suddenly to become a police force. As we're seeing, the Marines are pretty trigger happy. If it doesn't stop, they shoot it.

Policing is an entirely different skill from that required of commando soldiers. Bring in the military police or regular police. Perhaps this should have been part of the plan from the outset.

11. Apr 14, 2003 #10
    I know; I don't fault them for killing people. I do expect them to become a police force -- not necessarily a good one, but a police force. It's not really that hard: the military did a pretty good job of securing the oil wells and the Ministry of Oil building in Baghdad. They could have done the same thing they did there --send a squad or platoon to hold people off and shoot them if they ignored this.

Of course I don't blame the individual Marines/GI's on the ground... I blame their officer corps, and ultimately the higher leadership for not putting in a small effort to protect these sites.

12. Apr 15, 2003 #11

russ_watters

My comment RE 10,000 M.P.'s was aimed more generally at the anarcy in the entire city.

13. Apr 15, 2003 #12

I don't think its all about "the euphoria following the downfall of a dictator" as much as it is a response to their own poverty.

14. Apr 15, 2003 #13
    They didn't just loot their own archaeological artifacts, but basically robbed and destroyed the heirlooms of world heritage.

How ironic that among the booty was Hammaurabbi's code, millenia old code of laws.

40,000 years of the history of civilization. What shame that our country was in charge of the city during this.

15. Apr 15, 2003 #14
    Is it really the people who are destroying their own history? I believe it only takes a greedy few souls to loot and destroy thousands of years worth of history. Besides, it's not just a loss for the Iraqi people. It's a loss for all of humanity. Those lost artifacts represent knowledge that has been lost to humanity forever.

We, as humans, should strive to protect this legacy for the simple sake of preserving knowledge for those who wish to learn.

eNtRopY

16. Apr 17, 2003 #15
    See, us war protesters were right! There did need to be more planning!! There needed to be international planning of a post-war plan, like many of us were saying...of course, we were shouted down as appeasers every time.

17. Apr 17, 2003 #16
    WRONG!

You war protestors were always against any kind of war and you were, and probably, will always be appeasers because that is your nature.

We predicted that you would jump on the imperfections of the conflict. But seriously, is that all you've got? A little post war anarchy for a country that's been bottled up and oppressed for 25+ years.

Do you really think anything less than 24,000,000 MPs could have quelled all of the 'anarchy'? Don't be foolish.

18. Apr 17, 2003 #17
    See, instead of reality, you resort to spin. You refuse to see what anyone says, and simply fill in whatever fascist right-wing propaganda allows you to not have to think to hard. I guess that the awards on my wall from my military service are proof of my appeasing nature, huh?

19. Apr 17, 2003 #18

russ_watters

Oh please. Right about more planning? Rule # 1 of warfare: no well constructed plan survives contact with the enemy. That has been stated over and over (before the war even started. And since you didn't want the war fought in the first place, you CANNOT claim to have had any prior recommendation as to how it should be fought, much less what should happen in the aftermath. Its only AFTER the war started that the hippies started to discuss what should come after.

20. Apr 17, 2003 #19
    Look, continue to lie to yourself if it turns you on...I stated over and over again that I disagreed with the war AS IT WAS PLANNED...and you kept ignoring it. Your blinders are on tight, huh?

21. Apr 17, 2003 #20

russ_watters

If you provide a link to a statement of yours, I'll retract that. And just to clarify, are you saying you AGREED that we should fight the war or that you disagreed with BOTH going to war and the way we fought?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?