Iraqi unrest, Syrian unrest, and ISIS/ISIL/Daesh

• News
  • Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
In summary, the Iraqi government, under severe military pressure from insurgents, is apparently on the verge of collapse. They requested US military aid, but, were refused. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this disturbing?
  • #1,051
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm curious why the leaked John Kerry comments about letting ISIS grow as a strategy to oust Assad isn't a bigger deal. What am I missing?
Certainly some sites are making it a big deal.

The Daily Wire reports on the statement, with a link to the audio.
http://www.dailywire.com/news/12211/listen-kerry-admits-obama-watched-isis-get-frank-camp

What is not reported is the period of time in reference, although it appears the period is before the Russians became directly engaged through aircraft bombardment. From the Daily Wire report:
It cannot be extrapolated from Kerry saying: "and we know that this was growing--we were watching. We saw that Daesh was growing in strength, and we thought Assad was threatened," that the Obama administration was purposefully allowing ISIS to grow. Kerry said that the administration saw that ISIS was growing, was watching that growth, and hoped that such growth would lead to negotiations with Assad.
The US was supporting the Free Syrian Army and allies, but there was a problem identifying who among the allies were not sympathetic or allied with folks like al-Nusra Front or al-Qaeda.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-24403003

Is it possible that the growth and influence of Daesh was under-estimated, or that the link between Daesh in Syria and Iraq was not well understood? Possibly.

Likes jim hardy
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,052
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm curious why the leaked John Kerry comments about letting ISIS grow as a strategy to oust Assad isn't a bigger deal. What am I missing?

It's actually an old story that the NY Times featured months ago. I would say it this way: They saw ISIS grow in Syria in hopes on threatening Assad and pushing him to negotiate, but he brought in Russia instead.

Syria has been a one-party state about the last 40+ years, father then son of the absolute dictator party.:frown: John Kerry met with people lobbying for regime change, he was talking trash about getting rid of Assad but it was too late after Russia was all into help Assad.

• #1,053
Greg Bernhardt said:

It doesn't fit The Narrative. The Narrative is that it is a good vs. evil battle, and the US (or at least the present Administration) is on the side of goodness and light. The truth is that it's a battle between about six different kinds of evil. Exactly what the US aims are is difficult to discern, in part because there was no Congressional authorization. Debate on that would have clarified what the goals were.

Likes jim hardy, Bystander, Astronuc and 1 other person
  • #1,054
nsaspook said:
It's actually an old story that the NY Times featured months ago. I would say it this way: They saw ISIS grow in Syria in hopes on threatening Assad and pushing him to negotiate, but he brought in Russia instead.
All I can find is this story which I remember reading, but it does not include the part where Kerry tells they let ISIS grow
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/09/30/world/middleeast/john-kerry-syria-audio.html

That part is only being reported by what appears to be "alt right" publications. Not one mainstream source I can find is reporting on it. Made me suspicious, but I've listened to the audio and it is there.

• #1,055
Greg Bernhardt said:
That Kerry's statement does not mean the US could have positively changed the outcome via different action.

From the Daily Wire, Frank Camp, link Astronuc referenced:

Nowhere does Kerry say that the United States had the ability to stop the development of the Islamic State in Syria as it was at the time. Nowhere does he say that the United States helped or allowed them to grow--only that such growth was observed.

This isn't to say that the administration's action (or inaction, as it were) was right. This isn't to say that they couldn't have hindered ISIS or gone about their strategy a different way. We simply don't know

Likes Greg Bernhardt
  • #1,056
removed , til i think on it some more.

old jim

Attachments

• janesArms2Sytia.jpg
    janesArms2Sytia.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
  • #1,057

Likes jim hardy
<h2>1. What is the cause of the unrest in Iraq and Syria?</h2><p>The unrest in Iraq and Syria can be attributed to a combination of factors, including political and religious divisions, economic disparity, and external influence. The invasion of Iraq by the United States in 2003, the Arab Spring uprisings in 2011, and the ongoing Syrian Civil War have all contributed to the current state of unrest in the region.</p><h2>2. What is the difference between ISIS, ISIL, and Daesh?</h2><p>ISIS, ISIL, and Daesh are all acronyms for the same extremist group that has gained control over parts of Iraq and Syria. ISIS stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, while ISIL stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Daesh is an Arabic term that is used to refer to the group in a derogatory manner. The group has also been referred to as the Islamic State (IS) or the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS).</p><h2>3. How has ISIS/ISIL/Daesh been able to gain power in Iraq and Syria?</h2><p>ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has been able to gain power in Iraq and Syria due to a combination of factors, including the power vacuum created by the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq, the ongoing civil war in Syria, and the group's ability to exploit sectarian and ethnic divisions in the region. Additionally, the group has been able to gain resources and recruits through its control of oil fields and its use of social media to spread its message.</p><h2>4. What impact has the unrest in Iraq and Syria had on the region and the world?</h2><p>The unrest in Iraq and Syria has had a significant impact on the region and the world. It has resulted in the displacement of millions of people, destabilized neighboring countries, and led to a humanitarian crisis. The rise of ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has also posed a threat to global security, with the group carrying out terrorist attacks in various countries.</p><h2>5. What is being done to address the situation in Iraq and Syria?</h2><p>The international community has taken various measures to address the situation in Iraq and Syria, including military intervention, providing humanitarian aid, and supporting diplomatic efforts to find a resolution to the conflicts. The United Nations has also been actively involved in efforts to provide aid and facilitate peace talks. However, the situation remains complex and ongoing efforts are necessary to achieve stability and peace in the region.</p>

1. What is the cause of the unrest in Iraq and Syria?

The unrest in Iraq and Syria can be attributed to a combination of factors, including political and religious divisions, economic disparity, and external influence. The invasion of Iraq by the United States in 2003, the Arab Spring uprisings in 2011, and the ongoing Syrian Civil War have all contributed to the current state of unrest in the region.

2. What is the difference between ISIS, ISIL, and Daesh?

ISIS, ISIL, and Daesh are all acronyms for the same extremist group that has gained control over parts of Iraq and Syria. ISIS stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, while ISIL stands for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Daesh is an Arabic term that is used to refer to the group in a derogatory manner. The group has also been referred to as the Islamic State (IS) or the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS).

3. How has ISIS/ISIL/Daesh been able to gain power in Iraq and Syria?

ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has been able to gain power in Iraq and Syria due to a combination of factors, including the power vacuum created by the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq, the ongoing civil war in Syria, and the group's ability to exploit sectarian and ethnic divisions in the region. Additionally, the group has been able to gain resources and recruits through its control of oil fields and its use of social media to spread its message.

4. What impact has the unrest in Iraq and Syria had on the region and the world?

The unrest in Iraq and Syria has had a significant impact on the region and the world. It has resulted in the displacement of millions of people, destabilized neighboring countries, and led to a humanitarian crisis. The rise of ISIS/ISIL/Daesh has also posed a threat to global security, with the group carrying out terrorist attacks in various countries.

5. What is being done to address the situation in Iraq and Syria?

The international community has taken various measures to address the situation in Iraq and Syria, including military intervention, providing humanitarian aid, and supporting diplomatic efforts to find a resolution to the conflicts. The United Nations has also been actively involved in efforts to provide aid and facilitate peace talks. However, the situation remains complex and ongoing efforts are necessary to achieve stability and peace in the region.