Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IRC? (and intro post)

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    I guess I'll introduce myself to the community here at PF. I'm a freshman undergraduate at University of California, Irvine. I discovered this site through my recent peak in interest for writing nonfiction. I hope that I help out, and at the same time profit by learning how to illustrate physics. This seems like a fun, intellectual forum (4chan with more interesting people) and I look forward to meeting you!

Anyway, I think it would be awesome to have an IRC chatroom or some other kind of chatroom available for us geeks to hang out in, answer questions and simply chat. You all seem like interesting people (why else would you hang out here!). It could be another degree of freedom for us to help each other out. Anyone interested? Is there one I don't know about?

Alexandre Colavin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    I saw that there were "chatroom days" every once in a while. They don't do them often because of server load issues, and that it takes away from the forum aspect. Anyone still interested in doing it unofficially? A lounge for physicsforums? It wouldn't take any server load to do it via IRC, and I think it would only add to the efficiency of physicsforums through faster more coordinated discussions, etc.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chat is only done at certain times, right now it's on Sunday's between 10 AM CST and 4pm CST. The reason we do not do it more often is because it takes people out of the forums. The chat is done as a "treat" for members that wish to chat a bit and get to know each other better.

The forum owner, Greg has made the decision to keep chat as it is.

You can reference the discussion in this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221614

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  5. Mar 27, 2008 #4
    Alright. Well, for anyone interested, there is a big #physics channel on irc.freenode.net

They recommend physicsforums for homework help :D

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5
    Welcome! Whats your favorite type of fish?

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6
    Toro! Raw fatty tuna sushi! You?

8. Mar 27, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

<Whack>

One slap in the gut with a large tuna!

Welcome acolavin, you have now been officially initiated into PF. :approve:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  9. Mar 27, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF, acolavin!

10. Mar 27, 2008 #9
    Welcome acolavin. :smile: we have chat as said, it's not IRC though. But as to why that is check the forum feedback section, there's one or two threads about it.

11. Mar 27, 2008 #10
    thanks for the welcome. This looks like a pleasant little niche of the internet.

12. Mar 27, 2008 #11
    I've been a member of few and this ones the best by far. So its pretty good IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?