Have you joined the PF IRC chat yet?

• Thread starter acolavin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro
In summary: I'm glad you like it.thanks for the input. I'm glad you like it.In summary, the forum owner, Greg, has decided to keep chat as it is, but there is still interest in having an IRC chatroom.
acolavin
I guess I'll introduce myself to the community here at PF. I'm a freshman undergraduate at University of California, Irvine. I discovered this site through my recent peak in interest for writing nonfiction. I hope that I help out, and at the same time profit by learning how to illustrate physics. This seems like a fun, intellectual forum (4chan with more interesting people) and I look forward to meeting you!

Anyway, I think it would be awesome to have an IRC chatroom or some other kind of chatroom available for us geeks to hang out in, answer questions and simply chat. You all seem like interesting people (why else would you hang out here!). It could be another degree of freedom for us to help each other out. Anyone interested? Is there one I don't know about?

Alexandre Colavin

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw that there were "chatroom days" every once in a while. They don't do them often because of server load issues, and that it takes away from the forum aspect. Anyone still interested in doing it unofficially? A lounge for physicsforums? It wouldn't take any server load to do it via IRC, and I think it would only add to the efficiency of physicsforums through faster more coordinated discussions, etc.

Chat is only done at certain times, right now it's on Sunday's between 10 AM CST and 4pm CST. The reason we do not do it more often is because it takes people out of the forums. The chat is done as a "treat" for members that wish to chat a bit and get to know each other better.

The forum owner, Greg has made the decision to keep chat as it is.

You can reference the discussion in this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=221614

Last edited:
Alright. Well, for anyone interested, there is a big #physics channel on irc.freenode.net

They recommend physicsforums for homework help :D

Welcome! Whats your favorite type of fish?

Toro! Raw fatty tuna sushi! You?

<Whack>

One slap in the gut with a large tuna!

Welcome acolavin, you have now been officially initiated into PF. :approve:

Last edited:
Welcome to PF, acolavin!

Welcome acolavin. :smile: we have chat as said, it's not IRC though. But as to why that is check the forum feedback section, there's one or two threads about it.

thanks for the welcome. This looks like a pleasant little niche of the internet.

acolavin said:
thanks for the welcome. This looks like a pleasant little niche of the internet.

I've been a member of few and this ones the best by far. So its pretty good IMO.

What is IRC?

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a text-based communication protocol that allows multiple users to chat in real-time over the internet. It was created in 1988 and is still commonly used today for group discussions, online communities, and support channels.

How does IRC work?

IRC works by connecting users to a network of servers where they can join different chat rooms, also known as channels. Users can send messages and files to each other within a channel, and can also have private conversations with other users. Each channel has its own topic and rules, and users can join or leave channels at any time.

Do I need any special software to use IRC?

Yes, you will need an IRC client to connect to IRC. There are many different IRC clients available, including web-based clients and desktop applications. Some popular options include mIRC, HexChat, and Colloquy.

Is IRC secure?

IRC itself is not a secure protocol, as messages are sent in plain text and can potentially be intercepted by others. However, many IRC networks offer the option to connect using SSL, which encrypts the communication between the user and the server, making it more secure.

What are some common IRC commands?

Some common IRC commands include joining a channel with /join, leaving a channel with /part, sending a private message with /msg, and changing your nickname with /nick. There are also commands for managing channels, such as setting a topic with /topic and kicking or banning users with /kick and /ban.