Physics Puzzle: The Rear of a Bicycle & the Front of a Car

In summary, the front of the car catches up with the rear of the bicycle at the same time that the car's speed is the same as the bicycle's speed.
Moon
In Ireland, 16 year olds are expected to answer this question at some point during the leaving cert physics course. I’m finding it difficult to answer. Can anyone help me here? Ah, nothing like sharing wisdom...

The rear of a bicycle passes a point P on a road and travels at a steady speed of 12 m s-1 down the road. At the same instant, the front of a car starts from rest at P and moves in the same direction as the bicycle with an acceleration of 12 m s-2. When and how far from P does the front of the car catch up with the rear of the bicycle?

Good luck! I’m looking for the actual workings too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Moon, and welcome to Physics Forums.

Originally posted by Moon
Good luck! I’m looking for the actual workings too.

Funny, that's just what I'd like to say to you!

We have a policy here: We don't do your homework for you. Please read the announcement at the top of this Forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=28

Give it a shot, and post what you come up with. We will help you through the rough spots.

Consider the equations:

s = ½(u +v)t and s = ut + ½at2

You can work it out using just these two equations.

Apologies there, but my problem is with how to use the data given in the question with the equation.

If anyone could at least break it down for me so I can do the equation work myself, which would help greatly.

Ok, you see the two equations I've given you to find t by using the fact that though s is unkown it is the same for both the bicycle and the car.

It's also helpful if you show what you've done so far.

Wow. So I am not the only person in ireland struggling with physics?

Cool, where in Ireland do you live?

I figured out the problem eventually...

The west. Was stupid enough to do higher maths, physics and applied maths for the Leaving, so this is where i turn to for help. What about you?

1. How does the rear of a bicycle and the front of a car interact in terms of physics?

The rear of a bicycle and the front of a car interact through the principles of momentum and force. When the car and bicycle collide, the car's force will cause the bicycle's rear to accelerate in the opposite direction, due to Newton's Third Law of Motion. This is also why the bicycle rider will be thrown forward.

2. Why does a bicycle rider experience a jolt when a car passes closely by?

When a car passes closely by a bicycle, the rider experiences a jolt due to the change in air pressure. As the car moves quickly, it displaces the air around it, creating a low-pressure area behind it. This low-pressure area pulls the rider towards the car, causing the jolt.

3. How does the weight distribution on a bicycle affect its stability when interacting with a car?

The weight distribution on a bicycle is crucial for its stability when interacting with a car. The majority of the rider's weight should be on the rear of the bicycle, as this helps to keep the front wheel in contact with the ground. This allows for better control and stability when navigating around a car.

4. How does the speed of a bicycle and a car affect their interaction?

The speed of a bicycle and a car greatly affects their interaction. The faster the car and bicycle are moving, the greater the force and momentum will be when they collide. This can result in a more severe jolt for the rider and potentially cause more damage to both vehicles.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when a bicycle and car are sharing the road?

When a bicycle and car are sharing the road, both parties should take appropriate safety precautions. The bicycle rider should always follow traffic laws, signal their intentions, and wear reflective or bright clothing. The car driver should give bicycles enough space, slow down when passing, and be aware of their surroundings. Both parties should communicate and be cautious to avoid accidents.