Irodov mechanics problem

In summary: The work done by external force goes partly in increasing the elastic potential energy in spring and partly used up in overcoming friction. 'A' becomes 0 when x is the extreme position of the spring of max stretch.
tejas
two masses, m1 and m2 are connected with an undeformed light spring and lie on a surface. the coefficents of friction between the masses and the surface are k1 and k2, respectively. What is the minimum constant force F, that needs to be applied in the horizontal direction to the m1, to shift the other mass?

http://irodovsolutionsmechanics.blogspot.com/2008_02_16_archive.html

here is the official solution to the problem, it's same as in Singh's book and the answer is also correct. But I simply cannot understand it. How can the force F be smaller than the sum of the sliding friction forces?

Also, if we take m1 to be negligable, then the force necessary would be the Frictional force on m2/2. How does that work out? Also, that would me that to move the m1 would be harder, if we applied the same force to m2. Help please, I'm puzzled :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the given solution.

Lets break the problem down. There are two blocks, each with the frictional force acting on it. On one block, we want to apply a force F, so we factor that into the FBD. At the same time, there is the spring force opposing the force F.

Now, the frictional force will be opposite to the direction of F, because it needs to oppose the force F. The spring force on the block m1 also opposes F.

The only forces on the block m2 are the frictional force and the spring force.

Now, let's say the block m1 moves a distance x. Now, lets, for the moment, assume that the block m2 is heavy enough that the spring must expand a little before the mass m2 moves.

Can you work through the equations up till this point?

well, the total force on m1 is F - kx- m1gk. the force on m2 is simply kx, until kx = m2gk.

anyways, now about the work. A = integral (Fdx) (sry I don't know how to post equations)

then A = Fx - kx^2/2 - m1gkx. is that zero? dunno. This is the work done on m1 by the sum of the forces on it. it must go somewhere. Where it goes? into -kx^2/2? as we take the kinetic energy zero.

anyone?

tejas said:
well, the total force on m1 is F - kx- m1gk. the force on m2 is simply kx, until kx = m2gk.

anyways, now about the work. A = integral (Fdx) (sry I don't know how to post equations)

then A = Fx - kx^2/2 - m1gkx. is that zero? dunno. This is the work done on m1 by the sum of the forces on it. it must go somewhere. Where it goes? into -kx^2/2? as we take the kinetic energy zero.
the work done by external force goes partly in increasing the elastic potential energy in spring and partly used up in overcoming friction. 'A' becomes 0 when x is the extreme position of the spring of max stretch

Ok I understand that, but how it solves the problem that only half of the frictional force is needed to move the m2 when m1 tends to 0?

1. What is Irodov mechanics problem?

Irodov mechanics problem refers to a series of challenging physics problems created by Russian physicist, Gleb Irodov. These problems are known for their complexity and require a strong understanding of mechanics and mathematical skills to solve.

2. Why are Irodov mechanics problems so difficult?

Irodov mechanics problems are designed to challenge and test the problem-solving skills of students. They often involve multiple concepts and require a deep understanding of the underlying principles and equations. Additionally, the problems may have multiple steps and require careful calculations.

3. How can I prepare for Irodov mechanics problems?

To prepare for Irodov mechanics problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of mechanics, including concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, and rotational motion. Additionally, practicing similar problems and developing problem-solving strategies can help improve your skills.

4. Are Irodov mechanics problems only for advanced students?

While Irodov mechanics problems are known for their difficulty, they are not exclusively for advanced students. These problems can be attempted by students of all levels, but may require more time and effort for those with less experience in physics.

5. What is the value of solving Irodov mechanics problems?

Solving Irodov mechanics problems can help students develop critical thinking skills, improve their understanding of physics concepts, and prepare for challenging exams or competitions. It also allows students to apply their knowledge to real-world problems and build their problem-solving abilities.