Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iron Colours in eMag Fields

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    I don't have any idea what it's called...

When iron (or metal?) is subject to an extreme magnetic field, it turns different colours. Does this happen to all metals, or just some?

I'm thinking about designing jewelry and trying to get this effect, but am wondering what causes it, and on what materials.

I'd like to get this look without having to diamond plate it:

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In the case of titanium, it is anodized to produce different thicknesses of oxide, which have different optical behaviour (interference) depending on thickness. See - http://mrtitanium.com/interference.html

I am not sure iron changes colour in a magnetic field necessarily. What is considered an extreme magnetic field?

4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    I don't know what would be considered extreme. I just remember years ago, I think on the television about how iron (or whatever metal is in a transformer) will degrade and will change colour from black to something looking like oil drops in a rain puddle. I wish I could remember the name of the effect...

5. Jun 22, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please find me a reference for this. Neither have I heard of this, nor can I infer it theoretically from anything I know about magnetism.

6. Jun 22, 2005 #5
    Searching.... searching....

The only thing I find so far is this:
    That makes no sense to me, though...

7. Jun 23, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That split in the energies of the d-orbitals comes from crytal fields, and is in the visible range - that's why most transition metal salts are colored. It has nothing to do with applied magnetic fields.

The energy split that does arise from an applied B-field (the Lamb Shift) is about 5 orders of magnitude (?) too small to result in transitions in the visible range.

8. Jun 23, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

which is absorption or emission of light.

However, color for most materials is reflected light - which has mostly to do with reflection and refraction, and interference.

The color of Fe does depend on the Fe valence (2+ or 3+), which in turn determines the characteristic of the oxide Fe2O3, like hematite, or Fe3O4, like magnetite, and also whether they are hydrated or not.

Also in an aqueous environment, one can have hydroxides and oxyhydroxides, which are certainly different than anhydrous oxides.

9. Jun 23, 2005 #8
    Thanks, guys, for the additional information. :)

As I think about this, I might remember it having to do with atom smashers - something about the device not using an iron core for the electromagnets... maybe this is something? Anyone know why SCs don't use iron cores for the eMags?

10. Jun 23, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The way most SC magnets are used (especially in research), the place where the magnetic field is required (ie : where the sample being studied lives) is at the magnet center (ie: inside the solenoid), not outside the magnet. In fact, many SC magnets are wound with extra windings (above and below the primary windings) going in the opposite direction to the primary windings so as to minimize fields away from the magnet center.

11. Jul 2, 2005 #10
    Examining the pictures you posted does look like industrial electroplating. Another easy way to get this would be electroplating with bismuth. This element naturally has this rainbow coloring on the surface, probably due to natural oxidation.

I reproduced similar colors when trying to get copper to turn green as per church roofs. The rainbow-like effect was not as even or well controlled, but was done simply by baking the copper plates in house oven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?