Mysterious Compound in Water: Researching What It Is

• Thread starter JGM_14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, there is a compound in the water that is insoluble but partially soluble in HCl. It turns yellow in HCl and orange as a precipitate, but becomes magnetic when heated and turns black then brown. Over time, it becomes non-magnetic and has no visible color change. It is methane and salicylic acid turns it purpleish blue. It undergoes a thermite reaction with aluminum and is likely a mixture of iron hydroxides and iron oxides. The yellow color in HCl and the salicylic acid test confirm the presence of iron, while the magnetic behavior is due to magnetite. A mixture of Fe2O3 and Fe3O4 would make the compound brown. Rust is a crystal matrix
JGM_14
We have this compound in our water that is insoluble in water, partially soluble in HCl (turns it yellow), it is orange when it comes out of the water as a precipitate but whenyou heat it up it turns slightly magnetic with a color change to black then brown but then degrades (or somthing like that) over time it becomes completely non-magnetic with no visible color change. I don't have the right materials to do a reduction with H2. Doesanyone have a clue what this might be? I was always told it was rust. We have methane dissolved in our water too. I have reaserch and i cannot find what it is. Salicylic acid turns it purpleish blue. it does undergo a thermite reaction when mixed with aluminum.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Its iron. The yellow color in HCl, the salicylic acid test and the ferromagnetic properties are conclusive enough results. The thermite reaction is not specific.

I think that you have a mixture of iron hydroxides and iron oxides (rust). HCl would give iron chloride which explains the yellow color. Salicylic acid does form a purple iron(III) complex. When the mixture is heated, the hydroxides decompose to the oxide and thus you are able to initiate a thermite reaction. The magnetic behavior is due to magnetite (Fe3O4).

would a mixture of Fe2O3 and Fe3O4 make the compound brown?

Fe2O3 is reddish-brown; Fe3O4 is black.

JGM_14 said:
would a mixture of Fe2O3 and Fe3O4 make the compound brown?
Yes. Rust is rarely pure Fe2O3 - there are various oxides (stoichiometries) - and hydrated oxides, and even oxyhydroxides. There are most likely other impurities.

You can't really say the powder that makes up rust is either pure Fe2O3 or pure FeO or pure Fe3O4. It is a crystal matrix with Fe(II) and Fe(III) in it and hydroxide impurities at the crystal-air interface. The formula which indicates the crystals composition is usualyl that which best describes it.

In this case I would say you have iron oxide, when it's just precipitated it will be best described as Fe3O4 which explains why it's magnetic and when you leave it in air it will convert into orange Fe2O3 as the powder gets further oxidized.

Are the hydroxides of iron magnetic?

Not to my knowledge but when the hydroxide ions make up only a tiny portion of the total amount of anions, the crytal in it's entirety might still be mostly describable as Fe3O4 and thus magnetic.

JGM_14 said:
Are the hydroxides of iron magnetic?

Yes, some are.

1. What is the mysterious compound in water?

The mysterious compound in water is a substance that has been found in various water sources, such as tap water, rivers, and lakes. It is not yet identified and is being researched by scientists to determine its composition and potential effects.

2. How is the compound being studied?

The compound is being studied through various methods, such as laboratory experiments, field studies, and analysis of water samples. Scientists are also using advanced technology, such as spectrometry and chromatography, to analyze the composition of the compound.

3. What are the potential sources of this compound?

There are several potential sources of the mysterious compound in water, including industrial and agricultural runoff, wastewater treatment plants, and natural sources. However, the exact source of the compound is still unknown and requires further research.

4. What are the potential risks of this compound to human health?

Currently, there is limited information on the potential risks of this compound to human health. However, some studies have shown that it may have negative effects on aquatic life and may also be linked to certain health issues in humans. Further research is needed to determine the exact risks to human health.

5. When can we expect to know more about this mysterious compound?

The research on this mysterious compound in water is ongoing, and it may take some time before we have a complete understanding of its composition and potential effects. However, scientists are continuously working on this issue, and new findings may emerge in the near future.