We have this compound in our water that is insoluble in water, partially soluble in HCl (turns it yellow), it is orange when it comes out of the water as a precipitate but whenyou heat it up it turns slightly magnetic with a color change to black then brown but then degrades (or somthing like that) over time it becomes completely non-magnetic with no visible color change. I don't have the right materials to do a reduction with H2. Doesanyone have a clue what this might be? I was always told it was rust. We have methane dissolved in our water too. I have reaserch and i cannot find what it is. Salicylic acid turns it purpleish blue. it does undergo a thermite reaction when mixed with aluminum.