1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iron(ii) and Iron (iii) Seperation

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You must devise a volumetric procedure to determine the percentage or Iron(ii) and Iron (iii) in a mixture containing both.

You are provided with 200cm[tex]^{}3[/tex] of a solution containing between 1.1g and 1.3g of iron ions as a mixture of Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex] and Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex](aq). You may assume that each of the two ions is present to at least 30% by mass. You have the normal apparatus required for volumteric analysis but a balance is not available.

3. The attempt at a solution

The max and min. mass range = 1.1x0.3=0.33g min. and 1.3x0.7=0.91g
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try to put in a little more effort in your attempt at a solution. Do you know of any tests that are specific for either iron (II) or iron (III)? Know of any way to convert one quantitatively into the other?
  4. Aug 23, 2007 #3
    I do have some ideas I've already jotted down but whether or not they will work I have no idea:

Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex] - e [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex]

Using MnO[tex]_{}4[/tex][tex]^{}-[/tex]+8H[tex]^{}+[/tex] + 5e [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Mn[tex]^{}2+[/tex]+4H[tex]_{}2[/tex]O

Work that out ?

Then (just tell me to stop if this is completely wrong):

Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex]+ e [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex]

Then use a reducing agent so :

2I[tex]^{}-[/tex] - 2e[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] I[tex]_{}2[/tex]

Using S[tex]_{}2[/tex]O[tex]_{}3[/tex][tex]^{}2-[/tex] for getting rid of the excess Iodide that would be left

so bascally measure the Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex] with the MnO[tex]_{}4[/tex][tex]^{}-[/tex] then convert Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex] to Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex]
    Measure it again, then difference is the amount of Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex]

but it says justify concentrations etc, I don't have a clue where to start on that front
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?