Iron(ii) and Iron (iii) Seperation

• Thread starter RE-com
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, the task at hand is to devise a volumetric procedure for determining the percentage of Iron (II) and Iron (III) in a mixture containing both ions. The solution provided for analysis contains between 1.1g and 1.3g of iron ions, with each ion being present at least 30% by mass. A balance is not available for this analysis. The proposed solution involves using a redox reaction between Fe^{}2+ and Fe^{}3+ ions, followed by a conversion of one ion to the other using a reducing agent. The excess iodide would then be removed using S_{}2O_{}3^{}2- before measuring the concentrations of each ion and determining the percentage of
RE-com

Homework Statement

You must devise a volumetric procedure to determine the percentage or Iron(ii) and Iron (iii) in a mixture containing both.

You are provided with 200cm[tex]^{}3[/tex] of a solution containing between 1.1g and 1.3g of iron ions as a mixture of Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex] and Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex](aq). You may assume that each of the two ions is present to at least 30% by mass. You have the normal apparatus required for volumteric analysis but a balance is not available.

The Attempt at a Solution

The max and min. mass range = 1.1x0.3=0.33g min. and 1.3x0.7=0.91g

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to put in a little more effort in your attempt at a solution. Do you know of any tests that are specific for either iron (II) or iron (III)? Know of any way to convert one quantitatively into the other?

I do have some ideas I've already jotted down but whether or not they will work I have no idea:

Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex] - e [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex]

Using MnO[tex]_{}4[/tex][tex]^{}-[/tex]+8H[tex]^{}+[/tex] + 5e [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Mn[tex]^{}2+[/tex]+4H[tex]_{}2[/tex]O

Work that out ?

Then (just tell me to stop if this is completely wrong):

Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex]+ e [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex]

Then use a reducing agent so :

2I[tex]^{}-[/tex] - 2e[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] I[tex]_{}2[/tex]

Using S[tex]_{}2[/tex]O[tex]_{}3[/tex][tex]^{}2-[/tex] for getting rid of the excess Iodide that would be left

so bascally measure the Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex] with the MnO[tex]_{}4[/tex][tex]^{}-[/tex] then convert Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex] to Fe[tex]^{}2+[/tex]
Measure it again, then difference is the amount of Fe[tex]^{}3+[/tex]

but it says justify concentrations etc, I don't have a clue where to start on that front

1. What is the difference between Iron(II) and Iron(III)?

Iron(II) and Iron(III) refer to different oxidation states of the element iron. Iron(II) has a +2 oxidation state, meaning it has lost two electrons, while Iron(III) has a +3 oxidation state, meaning it has lost three electrons. This difference in oxidation states leads to different chemical and physical properties.

2. Why is it important to separate Iron(II) and Iron(III)?

Iron(II) and Iron(III) have different uses and applications in various industries, such as in the production of steel, fertilizers, and electronics. Separating these two forms of iron is crucial to ensure the purity and effectiveness of the final product.

3. How is Iron(II) and Iron(III) separation performed?

There are several methods for separating Iron(II) and Iron(III), including solvent extraction, ion exchange, and precipitation. These methods exploit the different chemical and physical properties of the two forms of iron to separate them effectively.

4. What are the challenges in separating Iron(II) and Iron(III)?

One of the main challenges in separating Iron(II) and Iron(III) is that they have similar chemical properties, making it difficult to distinguish between them. Additionally, the presence of impurities and other elements can complicate the separation process.

5. What are the applications of separated Iron(II) and Iron(III)?

Separated Iron(II) and Iron(III) have various applications in different industries. Iron(II) is commonly used in the production of iron alloys, while Iron(III) is used in the production of pigments, water treatment, and pharmaceuticals. Separating these forms of iron allows for their specific properties to be utilized effectively in different applications.