Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate reaction

• Thread starter kwrgkmg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the reactants for an iron(III) chloride and potassium thiocyanate reaction are FeCl3(aq) and KSCN(aq), which will form a coordination complex. However, the equation will not be balanced with a 1:1 ratio.
kwrgkmg

Homework Statement

I need to know the reactants of an iron(III) chloride and potassium thiocyanate reaction.

Homework Equations

FeCl3(aq) + KSCN(aq) =??

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is thiocyantoiron ion and potassium chloride, but this creates an unbalancable equation (FeCl3(aq) + KSCN(aq) = FeSCN + KCl)

Physics news on Phys.org
kwrgkmg said:

Homework Statement

I need to know the reactants of an iron(III) chloride and potassium thiocyanate reaction.

Homework Equations

FeCl3(aq) + KSCN(aq) =??

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is thiocyantoiron ion and potassium chloride, but this creates an unbalancable equation (FeCl3(aq) + KSCN(aq) = FeSCN + KCl)

If you are looking for the "reactants", as you asked, then, you already named them. One of the PRODUCTS is a coordination complex. Look in the sections of your general chemistry textbook about coordination complexes. Three days to one week of study. Thiocyanate ion can form coordination complexes with several metal ions, including Fe ions. The ratio will not be 1 to 1 for the complex with SCN-.

I would like to clarify that the reaction between iron(III) chloride and potassium thiocyanate results in the formation of iron(III) thiocyanate and potassium chloride. The balanced equation for this reaction is:

FeCl3(aq) + 3KSCN(aq) → Fe(SCN)3(s) + 3KCl(aq)

It is important to note that in solution, iron(III) thiocyanate exists as a complex ion, [Fe(SCN)6]3-. This reaction is a redox reaction, where iron(III) is reduced to iron(III) thiocyanate and potassium is oxidized to potassium chloride. This reaction is often used in qualitative analysis to test for the presence of iron(III) ions in a solution.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the reactants and products in the reaction between iron(III) chloride and potassium thiocyanate.

What is the chemical equation for the reaction between Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate?

The chemical equation for this reaction is FeCl3 + 3KSCN → Fe(SCN)3 + 3KCl.

What type of reaction is the reaction between Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate?

This reaction is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction.

What are the products of the reaction between Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate?

The products of this reaction are Iron(III) Thiocyanate and Potassium Chloride.

What is the color change that occurs during the reaction between Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate?

The reaction between Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate results in a deep red color due to the formation of Iron(III) Thiocyanate.

What is the practical application of the reaction between Iron(III) Chloride and Potassium Thiocyanate?

This reaction is often used in qualitative analysis to test for the presence of iron ions. It is also used in the production of pigments and dyes.