Exploring the Effects of DC and AC Voltage on Iron Piece Movement

In summary: Thank you for your input.Neither of you are reading the tutorial wikipedia article, are you...? :smile:Actually I did look through the Wikipedia solenoid article. Based on epilot's picture it appears that we are talking about an electromagnet. I also reviewed the Wikipedia's electromagnet article. We have a magnet field concentrated in the core of a U shaped electromagnet. A metal bar is placed on one pole of the electromagnet as per the diagram supplied. The question is does the metal bar move when a DC current is applied. Is that correct epilot or am I missing something? I am curious as to what Berkeman thinks will happen. Thank you for your input.
epilot
Hello guys,

I want to know if I apply a DC voltage to the wire winding then what will happen to the iron piece and why? What if the voltage happens to be AC??
I think that the iron piece will move but how and why, I am not sure...

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 12.PNG
    12.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
epilot said:
Hello guys,

I want to know if I apply a DC voltage to the wire winding then what will happen to the iron piece and why? What if the voltage happens to be AC??
I think that the iron piece will move but how and why, I am not sure...

Thanks for any help

For background and some equations, check out the Electromagnetic Solenoid portion of this wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

Thanks, But I couldn't get my response!

epilot said:
Thanks, But I couldn't get my response!

What does that mean? Do you have questions about the wikipedia article?

This would be a great experiment and easy to do. Try it!

My guess is that the metal bar doesn't move. Running a DC current in a coil around a horseshoe shaped bar will magnetize it with one end of the horseshoe north the other side south depending on the direction of current flow. Essentially you end up with a horseshoe magnet. If you place a metal bar on one end of a horseshoe magnet the attractive forces at contact will be greater than the attractive forces between the end of the metal bar and the other end of the horseshoe electromagnet. Remember attraction lessens with distance.

Get a cheap horse shoe magnet, stick a piece of metal on one end and see if it moves. I am guessing not. That is my hypothesis. Great opportunity to experiment.

!
Please be noticed that the under surface happens to be iron as well.
I think the response is something related to the flux in the lower surface.

RTW69 said:
This would be a great experiment and easy to do. Try it!

My guess is that the metal bar doesn't move. Running a DC current in a coil around a horseshoe shaped bar will magnetize it with one end of the horseshoe north the other side south depending on the direction of current flow. Essentially you end up with a horseshoe magnet. If you place a metal bar on one end of a horseshoe magnet the attractive forces at contact will be greater than the attractive forces between the end of the metal bar and the other end of the horseshoe electromagnet. Remember attraction lessens with distance.

Get a cheap horse shoe magnet, stick a piece of metal on one end and see if it moves. I am guessing not. That is my hypothesis. Great opportunity to experiment.

epilot said:
!
Please be noticed that the under surface happens to be iron as well.
I think the response is something related to the flux in the lower surface.

Neither of you are reading the tutorial wikipedia article, are you...? :smile:

Actually I did look through the Wikipedia solenoid article. Based on epilot's picture it appears that we are talking about an electromagnet. I also reviewed the Wikipedia's electromagnet article. We have a magnet field concentrated in the core of a U shaped electromagnet. A metal bar is placed on one pole of the electromagnet as per the diagram supplied. The question is does the metal bar move when a DC current is applied. Is that correct epilot or am I missing something? I am curious as to what Berkeman thinks will happen.

1. What is the purpose of exploring the effects of DC and AC voltage on iron piece movement?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe how different types of voltage (direct current and alternating current) affect the movement of an iron piece. This can provide insights into the behavior of electricity and how it affects physical objects.

2. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment involves setting up a circuit with a power source, connecting it to an iron piece, and varying the voltage between DC and AC. The movement of the iron piece is then observed and recorded.

3. What is the expected outcome of the experiment?

The expected outcome is that the iron piece will move in different ways when subjected to DC and AC voltage. DC voltage will cause the iron piece to move in a consistent direction, while AC voltage will cause the iron piece to move back and forth.

4. What are some potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment can have practical applications in understanding the behavior of electricity in devices that use DC and AC voltage, such as motors, generators, and power distribution systems. It can also help in troubleshooting and improving the efficiency of these devices.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind while conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to handle electricity with caution. Make sure to use appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, and follow proper procedures when dealing with electrical equipment. Also, be mindful of the voltage used in the experiment and do not go beyond safe limits.