Can iron react with other inorganic substances and form a red precipitate?

In summary, the conversation is about a chemical reaction involving KNO3, Fe(SCN)3, Na2SO4, and NaOH. The question is whether the reaction will produce a precipitate, and the suggested reaction is 6KNO3+ 2Fe(SCN)3+ 3Na2SO4---->Fe2(SO4)3 ↓ppt red + 6KSCN (aq) + 6 NaNO3 (aq). The person also asks for help in precipitating [SCN] from an aqueous solution and suggests using NaOH, but is informed that it is not a good method and KSCN is only slightly soluble in ethanol.
alotropia_entropia
I'm with a small doubt let me show for you:

I have a solution:
KNO3 + Fe(SCN)3

Plus:
Na2SO4 (aq)

I would like to know if could happen it?

---> NaNO3 + FeSO4↓ppt red + KSCN

Or plus:

NaOH (aq)

Could Happen ?
----> NaNO3+ Fe(OH)3 ↓ppt red +KSCN

Thank you

Paulo

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it happened : But
6KNO3+ 2Fe(SCN)3+ 3Na2SO4---->Fe2(SO4)3 ↓ppt red + 6KSCN (aq) + 6 NaNO3 (aq)

Now I want to know how precipitate the [SCN] from aqueous solution NaNO3 + KSCN

Could anyone help me?
Thanks

Maybe it could being done add NaOH (aq)?

NaOH isn't good to precipitate KSCN ... the KSCN is unsoluble into etanol but is a bit expansive...until now

1. What is Iron PPT?

Iron PPT (Potassium Permanganate Titration) is a chemical method used to determine the concentration of iron ions in a solution. It involves the reaction between iron ions and potassium permanganate, which results in a color change that can be used to calculate the concentration of iron.

2. How does Iron PPT work?

In Iron PPT, potassium permanganate is added to a solution containing iron ions. The potassium permanganate reacts with the iron ions, oxidizing them to form iron(III) ions. This reaction is indicated by a color change from purple to colorless. The amount of potassium permanganate used in the reaction can be used to calculate the concentration of iron ions present in the solution.

3. What are the applications of Iron PPT?

Iron PPT is commonly used in environmental and industrial settings to determine the amount of iron present in water samples or in industrial processes. It is also used in the production of steel, as the concentration of iron in the steel must be carefully controlled.

4. What are the limitations of Iron PPT?

Iron PPT can only be used to determine the concentration of iron ions in a solution. It cannot differentiate between different forms of iron (such as Fe2+ and Fe3+) and it is not accurate for solutions with high concentrations of other ions that can interfere with the reaction.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when performing Iron PPT?

Potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizing agent and should be handled with caution. It can cause skin and eye irritation, and should be stored in a cool, dry place away from flammable materials. Proper protective equipment, such as gloves and safety goggles, should be worn when handling the chemical.