Iron, Sulfur, and Hydrochloric Acid

In summary, the demonstration showed that hydrochloric acid will not react with iron sulfide, even at high temperatures, because the compound has a different reactivity toward the acid than do the elements from which it was prepared.
Soaring Crane
I know that hydrochloric acid reacts with a heated mixture of iron and sulfur, but why does it not react with an unheated mixture of iron and sulfur? (During a demonstration, I could see a soggy mixture of the powder and fillings in the acid, and I noticed nothing so I am assuming no reaction occurred. Is this correct?)

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can attempt to answer this only in the general case. And the way I'll start is by asking a question : do you not know of any other reaction that works hot, but not cold ?

Er, I'm sorry but I don't understand what's being inquired . . . :confused:

Anyone?

Thanks.

This one's gotten far enough sideways.

Soaring Crane said:
I know that hydrochloric acid reacts with a heated mixture of iron and sulfur,

"... a heated mixture ..." is a student's way of saying "a mixture of iron and sulfur that has been heated." That is, HCl reacts with pyrite, marcasite, troilite, and however many other iron sulfides. The key point here is that the "heated mixture" is not iron, nor sulfur, and does not exhibit the chemical properties of either of the elements from which it was prepared.
but why does it not react with an unheated mixture of iron and sulfur? (During a demonstration, I could see a soggy mixture of the powder and fillings in the acid, and I noticed nothing so I am assuming no reaction occurred. Is this correct?)

You did not see any vigorous evolution of gas, therefore, no rapid reaction of acid with metal (it is proceding, but slowly at room temperature), nor did you see any other obvious signs of other chemical reactions that are occurring in the "soggy mixture." The point of the demonstration is that the compound, iron sulfide (I'm not going to hazard a guess which) has different properties and reactivities toward HCl than do the constituent elements.

What is the chemical formula for Iron, Sulfur, and Hydrochloric Acid?

The chemical formula for Iron is Fe, Sulfur is S, and Hydrochloric Acid is HCl.

What are the properties of Iron, Sulfur, and Hydrochloric Acid?

Iron is a metallic element that is malleable and ductile with a melting point of 1538°C. Sulfur is a non-metallic element that is brittle and has a melting point of 115°C. Hydrochloric Acid is a strong, corrosive acid that has a pungent odor and is highly reactive with other substances.

What are the common uses of Iron, Sulfur, and Hydrochloric Acid?

Iron is commonly used to make steel, which is used in construction, transportation, and many other industries. Sulfur is used in the production of fertilizers, rubber, and other chemicals. Hydrochloric Acid is used in various industrial processes, such as steel production and water treatment, as well as in household cleaning products.

What are the potential hazards of working with Iron, Sulfur, and Hydrochloric Acid?

Iron can pose a risk of fire and explosion in certain conditions. Sulfur can be toxic if ingested or inhaled, and can also cause skin and eye irritation. Hydrochloric Acid is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with skin or eyes.

How do Iron, Sulfur, and Hydrochloric Acid interact with each other?

Iron and Sulfur can react to form Iron sulfide, a compound with the chemical formula FeS. When Hydrochloric Acid is added to this reaction, it can dissolve the Iron sulfide to produce Hydrogen sulfide gas and Iron chloride. This is known as the "iron-sulfur reaction" and is often used as a demonstration in chemistry experiments.