Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irony: Kerry did no better than Bush at Yale

1. Jun 7, 2005 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not sure why this never came out before, though I can see why Kerry would want to suppress it... http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-06-07-kerry-transcripts_x.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2005 #2

kat

It didn't come out because Kerry has never fully released his records.
    Interesting that such a large amount of the population were tricked by Kerry and Co. into thinking that he was academicly superior to Bush.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kerry's grades:
    Bush's grades
    Neither one of them could manage an A in anything? Good heavens! Is it just that incredibly hard to score 90% or better in a course at Yale?

5. Jun 7, 2005 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Both of them were rich kids who didn't need A's either for their careers or to feel good about themselves. They were full of that rich kid "sense of entitlement" which was shown long ago to be a reaction to their privilege. Dissonance: "I have all this and others don't; am I a hog?" Resolution: "I get special stuff because I AM special!"

6. Jun 7, 2005 #5
    It's also fascinating that one now appears to be much more intelligent than the other given that they were once on such a level playing field.

That being said I do think it was chumpy of Kerry to not disclose his grades.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #6

SOS2008

Gold Member

I don't believe Bush has ever agreed to having his grades released. Regardless, the information below was obtained before the election and was available for anyone interested:

Dubya (Derived from CNN, MSN Encarta, etc.):
    Kerry (Derived from the Boston Globe, WorldHistory.com):
    So it just goes to show that any idiot can become the President of the United States if they have money, connections, and a famous name. Great!

8. Jun 7, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No, it shows that once you get an A, your officially too smart to become President lol

9. Jun 7, 2005 #8

Art

My goldfish has a greater mental aptitude than Bush :smile:

10. Jun 7, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And now it appears it has the ability to be a Massachusettes Senator!

11. Jun 7, 2005 #10

Art

Arghhh goldfish are running the world :surprised

12. Jun 7, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My great niece runs into things... i think she can be UN secretary general!

13. Jun 7, 2005 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The conclusion would be that Bush probably had a higher IQ than Kerry. Bush had mediocre grades because he partied too much. Kerry attained mediocre grades because he tried hard. Considering Bush continued to enjoy the parties for most of his life while Kerry continued to try hard, it's fascinating that Bush and Kerry were still on a level playing field decades later during the election.

Does that say that intelligence, hard work, or family are more important to success?

14. Jun 7, 2005 #13
    So what's this supposed to prove? By saying one candidate isn't much better than another, is that supposed to make us feel better about the current President of the US and leader of the free world? It's just more of the "he's bad, but the other guy is too" type of argument.

Also, it is more accurate to make comparisons over all--not just grades. Kerry not only speaks French fluently, having lived in Europe at times in his life, he has a MUCH better track record over all regarding success in business/careers (rather than spending 40 years of his life abusing alcohol, etc.), and many years experience in politics. Also, Kerry is of Jewish decent. He certainly would have improved our relations with Europe and might have been able to play a better role toward peace in the Middle East.

15. Jun 7, 2005 #14
    WOW. That makes him, like, a frickin great guy. Since i speak two languages, am i good enough to be president of the United States?

Because he was rich enough to be able to afford multiple residences.

WHAT business career?

So according to you we should pick our presidents on the following criteria:

1) Number of European Languages they speak
    2) How many residences they can afford
    3) Racial descent

Hmmm....

16. Jun 7, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

And wouldnt a Jewish person being President be an even worse addition to the Middle East? From a Palestinian perspective, wouldnt that be pretty much like throwing a gas...station into the fire?

17. Jun 7, 2005 #16
    The OP makes a comparison of grades only. I merely make the point that there are many other achievements in life to consider. BTW, Kerry started and ran a successful business, and later was a successful prosecuting attorney. The racial decent was mentioned for those who support Bush because they view him as pro-Israel. Kerry's decent combined with an objective view may have lent credibility to peace talks.

It's obvious some people don't know very much about either candidate, and should before voting (or slinging mud).

18. Jun 7, 2005 #17
    I'm not disagreeing with the marks, but I don't believe Bush is more intelligent than Kerry. One might also note that Kerry was working during his time at Yale, and that probably influenced his grades - he also seemed to be much more involved in other activities.

19. Jun 7, 2005 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Presumably as a rebuttal, since grades were made an issue during the campaign. I really don't think the OP was suggesting Bush was at least as good of a candidate simply because their grades were similar.

20. Jun 7, 2005 #19

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the reason it is ironic is that intelligence is one of the first criticisms of Bush that people have and people's assessment of his intelligence was based primarily on his speaking ability and his grades in school.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  21. Jun 7, 2005 #20

Art

As a critic of Bush IMHO you do the man a disservice. Bush has far more repulsive characteristics than his lack of intelligence. In fact he may even have been of only slightly below average IQ once but with all the millions of braincells he lost through his alchohol abuse he no longer has enough to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?