1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational numbers

1. Aug 3, 2013 #1
    Is it possible to have an infinite string of the same number in the middle of an irrational number?
    For example could I have 1.2232355555555..............3434343232211
    Where their was an infinite block of 5's. Then I was trying to think of ways to prove or disprove this. It does seem like it might not be able to happen because if I had an infinite a 5's in a row then it seems like it would be a rational number.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2
    The "number" you are speaking of is nonsensical. You can't have an infinite string of 5's, and then have numbers come after that. If there are infinitely many 5's, you can't add anything after that; because it would mean the string of 5's eventually terminates at some point, which violates the definition of "being infinite", or "not having an end". This makes all of your question nonsensical as a whole. Perhaps you meant something else, but couldn't phrase it properly?

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

If the 3434... part of the number exists, then the string of 5's before it terminates, hence not an infinite string.

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You must be careful about what a decimal expansion actually is. Given a number ##x\geq 0##, a decimal expansion is a sequence

[tex](x_0,~x_1,~x_2,~x_3,~...)[/tex]

where ##x_0\in \mathbb{N}## and where ##0\leq x_i\leq 9## for ##i>0##. It must satisfy

[tex]x = x_0 + x_1\frac{1}{10} + x_2\frac{1}{10^2} + ...+ x_n \frac{1}{10^n}+...[/tex]

What is a sequence? Well, it is a map ##f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}##. We write ##f(n) = x_n##.

When you say you add an infinite number of ##5## in the middle, then this is invalid as it would not produce a sequence anymore. It is impossible to write something like that as a map from the naturals.

6. Aug 3, 2013 #5
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook