Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irrational Winding of the Torus

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

I am trying to prove the following result: Fix [itex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] with [itex]a \neq 0[/itex]. Let [itex]L = \{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2:ax+by = 0\}[/itex] and let [itex]\pi:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{T}^2[/itex] be the canonical projection map. If [itex]\frac{b}{a} \notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex], then [itex]\pi(L)[/itex] (with the subspace topology) is not a submanifold of [itex]\mathbb{T}^2[/itex].

I am having difficulty however showing that [itex]\pi(L)[/itex] is not locally Euclidean. From drawing a few pictures, I think every neighborhood of [itex]\pi(0)[/itex] is disconnected (which would be enough to complete the proof), but I am having difficulty showing this. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at p.158 of the book of John Lee.

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Thanks! I (finally) figured out a brute force method using the Hurwitz Theorem that works, but Lee's solution is much cleaner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook